1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rick pups in a BTB?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by flakeh, Mar 8, 2008.

1. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I had an interesting question come up from my friend today. I'm asking this to you guys cause you know quite a bit, even if this isn't for me I'm showing him this thread.

He was wondering since he loves the Ric sound and finds his Ibanez BTB sound a bit lacking (but he loves the feel of it, perfect to him) if there was anyway to put in Ric pickups with making it look clean. Since the cavity for a BTB is so big and the rickenbacker pickups are so small (I know the bridge pickup route on a ric is very large but the pickup itself is small) if it would be possible to install the ric pickups under some kind of soapbar cover that would fit in the btb route?

2. Could probably make some DIY covers, or even some fancy wood topped covers.

Wouldnt help at the bridge, but maybe an ashtray style cover? would change the asthetics of the bass a bit tho.

3. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Bump.

Mohawk, What do you mean by

4. i believe Ric sound not in only pickups by themselves, but in pickup positions too

5. Ashtrays are the metal covers over the pickups seen here:

[​IMG]

6. newfuture

newfuture

Jul 13, 2007
    Don't think it'll do much to achieve the RIC sound...placement's all wrong, not to mention wood type, scale, neck thru / bolt on differences. Wouldn't be cheap either. Probably better to find a suitable drop-in replacement PU for the BTB to see if that sounds better, or just get a ric.

7. mark-oj

mark-oj

May 26, 2006
    sydney australia
    sounds like your going out of your way to get the RIC tone...its not only the pickups that give off this amazing toneage, but the rickenbacker bass itself...u cant turn the sound of a btb into the sound of a ric by changing the pups...
    quite a costly procedure..and if you ask me..not worth it.....just do what i did...save up your money..and go buy a rickenbacker :D :bassist: