Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rick questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by inoculation, Jul 9, 2004.

1. inoculation

inoculation

May 9, 2004
    what are the differences in the 4001s and 4003s?
    how wide are the necks in comparison to a J or P bass?

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The 4003 has a thicker neck (similar to a P) than the 4001's thin neck. The electronics are different, and the 4003's may have more single coil hum. Also the 4003's have a nicer looking headstock.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yeah the 4003 may have more hum because the modern pickups are wound so hot. My '92 4003's original pickups were wound to about 12kohms, whereas earlier models were in the 6-7kohm range. Other electronic differences include that infamous .0047 inline capacitor that cut bass frequencies from the bridge pickup, giving the 4001 that trademark twangy tone (unless you were Paul McCartney and just used the neck pickup.) The 4003 models also had this capacitor up until about 1989 or so.

From reading posts on the Rickenbacker Forum (http://www.brunnet.net/cgi-bin/rickresource/discus/discus.pl), it seems like neck specs and even headstock shapes varied a little over the years. My '92 has what I would call a slim neck, but from what I understand newer basses have slightly chunkier necks.