1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rick Turner Model 1 Bass -- Sounds Fantastic......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr_O'B, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I was blown away by the tone of this bass. I would love to hear opinions about the bass
    and it's tone.

The great bassist in the video is my friend, Trevor Lindsey!
    He is a first call LA studio musician and master luthier, so his opinion carries a lot of weight with me.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    mysteryclock and nixdad like this.
  2. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Nice! I had one of the early production ones,in a satin mahogony finish,back in the late 70’s.
    It did not have the piezo,and the single magnetic pickup actually rotated to emphasize different tonalities from the strings.
    It was a very clean active sounding instrument,much like an Alembic.(go figure;))
    I only kept it for about a year,as it had a skinny neck,and iirc,a 32” scale,and i preferred something a bit more full size. (Think i went to a Modulus basstar after this).

Mr_O'B likes this.
  3. That bass really does have an interesting voice, I like it a lot. Super organic sounding and at the same time punchy and extremely fat. I always remember my Hofner Beatle bass I had around 69'. Loved the tone, the ergonomics not so much. Still a bit of a one trick pony. (Don't flame) This has similar ergonomics but way more versatile tones. I could see playing this a lot.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  4. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I think it has a unique voice and is worth owning if you have the money (not cheap)!

5. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    That's cool! I just found out about them a few days ago (so many builders out there!).
    Nice analogy comparison to Alembic basses. The go to basses of the bassist in the video are Alembic basses!

woodyng2 likes this.
  6. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    The one i had looked like the bass version of the guitar they made for Lindsey Buckinham.
    I went through an “active phase” with this,and a few other basses way back then.(including a first-year Stingray),but have stuck with passive basses for the last few decades.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  7. Don't forget, you should stay active in your later years!

Snaxster, Mr_O'B and woodyng2 like this.
  8. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    :D

Mr_O'B likes this.
  9. Sounds excellent! A nice blend of electric and acoustic tone.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  10. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Amazing how our taste can change over the years!

woodyng2 likes this.
  11. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I also think so!

12. Still looking for one of the really nice older ones in medium scale like this, but YES - Rick's stuff and the Model 1 in particular is amazing! One of the kings of the piezo pickups and I love that he kept the new Model 1's medium scale. Not a big fan of magnetic pickups on these.

turner1_lores2.

porterbass, woodyng2 and Mr_O'B like this.
  13. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Nice! :)

14. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ahhhh, it's always good to see Trevor!
    Please tell him I said hello.

Mr_O'B likes this.
  15. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    Will do! :)

nixdad likes this.
  16. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hi. Here is what I thought of my former Model 1 bass:

And here are some TalkBass search results, though admittedly nearly all public comments about Turner Model 1 guitars and basses are only either aspirational or conjectural (because so few people ever played one):

17. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    :laugh:

Good one, Kirk. It took me a minute. :D