Rick Turner on Jack Casady's bass (and amp)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wraub, Jul 29, 2016.

1. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    Pretty cool video, new to me:

2. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Fantastic! Thank you for sharing.

wraub and Linnin like this.
  3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Cool video!

wraub likes this.
  4. I know an amp tech that has a couple of these amps. He was just telling me the other day the exact way Jack used these in conjunction with another amp. Carol Kay also used these.

5. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    When I saw Jack with Paul Kantners' Starship in '92 he was using one of these as a pre amp to a SWR Redhead. I was standing right behind the Versatone, had Jefferson Airplane stenciled on it, the vinyl peeling off the wood sides. It was pretty awesome when he was facing me getting all the feedback and distortion on Sunrise from Blows Against The Empire! He was playing his Gibson that the signature is based on.

bholder likes this.
  6. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    Cool. Love the OD tone on that amp!

wraub likes this.
  7. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    So cool, I hadn't heard that he'd gotten it back! YAY!

wraub and Ductapeman like this.
  8. He should know!!! Splendid, thank you.

wraub likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is some cool history.

10. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    Sounds great!

11. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Don't see the video link.

12. Jack's tone at Woodstock has always been one of my favorites. It's always seemed a lot brighter than what people get out of similar gear though, which I've never quite understood. An amazing video regardless!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    wraub and Ductapeman like this.
  13. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Anyone have an idea what was done to the electronics?

14. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    On the bass, I'd always understood they were created by Bear and were possibly the first passive parametric EQ controls on a bass. I'm sure there was an article on this in Bass Player back in the '90s.

EDIT: Can't find the article but courtesy of the Letstalkguild site I found this:-

'......here's what Ron Wickersham is quoted as saying in Jim Roberts' "American Basses" © 2003 by Jim Roberts, Backbeat Books page 12.

"It was there that the first active electronics were placed in an instrument- Phil Lesh's Guild [Starfire] bass, which had Hagstrom pickups mad in Sweden. The pickups had winding inductance of several Henries, so the high frequencies were getting lost in the cord to the amp. We found that isolating the cord's capacitance would bring out the highs while preserving the tone in the lows. And we found that even a 6" cable from the pickup to the electronics moved the self resonance down about an octave, so the preamp was built right on the terminals of the pickup
    ."

Later on page 13 Roberts writes:
    "Alembic's early instrument projects included the installation of low-impedance pickups and active electronics in Guild Starfire basses used by both Lesh and the Jefferson Airplane's Jack Cassady." '

That book, American Basses, may be a handy reference for us bassists to have.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    wraub, Ductapeman and AltGrendel like this.
  15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Very cool. The bass looks great after so many years!

wraub likes this.
  16. Man, Rick Turner has done so much for bass players. :)

Thanks for finding and posting this great vid.

EdwardofHuncote, wraub and Ductapeman like this.
  17. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    I don't see how whatever person(s) had that bass for all those years managed to keep it a secret, unless they just hid it in their closet and NEVER showed it to anyone or played it out. Kind of similar to people who buy a stolen Rembrandt or Picasso painting and hide it in some secret vault to be viewed only by themselves. With that ad-on cover plate and peghead inlay, it couldn't have been much more unique and recognizable, even if the color of the finish was changed.

Oh well: "better late than never"...very cool that JC finally has it back.

stacker and bholder like this.
  18. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    5 year thread...that bass in post #1...

jim nolte and Blues Bass 2 like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021