Rick Turner & Renaissance Guitar Company

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AaronS, Jun 16, 2001.

1. I live in a town of 1500 in Western Colorado, about 300 miles from really good music shops in Denver or Salt Lake City. Last week I noticed a piece of butcher paper in the window of a vacant store front that said, "Starr Guitars. Opening Soon." I thought, "yeah probably 4 guitars". Yesterday it opened and I was blown away. Martin, Taylor, Santa Cruz, Fender and Schecter guitars, and more to the point Warwick, Spector, U.S. Masters and Rick Turner basses. Turns out that Dave Starr, who had been in business for several years in Little Rock, Arkansas, recently moved to Cedaredge and sells mostly on the web. I even remember visiting his website several times. I hope he is able to make a go of it because there is nothing like his shop within 5 hours driving time. I liked the Warwick V the best until I tried a Rick Turner Renaissance 5 String with a piezo bridge as well as the standard neck and bridge pickup. Now, it is a hard choice between the two. I was playing through a Genz Benz 200 watt amp with a single 12 and a horn. Has anybody had any experience or have any comments on these basses?
  2. Yes, I played a Renaissance at GC in Hollywood through an Ashdown rig, don't remember which Ashdown rig cuz I was too blown away by the Renaissance! This bass tops my list of, "basses I'd buy if I had the $." Hmmm...wonder if GC will extend me some credit. Oh man, I better stop, I'm having those bad thoughts that always get me in trouble. :D
  3. LowRanger

Dec 24, 2000
    Which Warwick did you play?

I've got a couple Warwicks, and a Ren Electroline 5 (dual mags and piezos). I love 'em both, but for different reasons.

The Electroline has an amazing range of sounds, and the hottest output and most quiet electronics of any bass I've ever played. From thumping lows to blazing highs, it's simply stunning. Dislikes: string-to-string output could be better, and the action's a bit high for my tastes (it's adjusted as low as I can get it without buzzing). Not one of the heavier basses, so a pleasure to play for five sets.

The Warwick Stage II 5 also does an incredible range of sounds, but not near the range of the Turner (and not as quietly). Superb fretwork, super action, to-die-for string-to-string balanced output. Dislikes: afzelia is NOT a light wood, your shoulder will tell you after a couple sets. I've got a Thumb 5 NT too (also love it), but it sounds like a Thumb no matter what you do to it, is heavy, and very un-ergonomic.

If I had to pick one to take to every gig without knowing what kind of music I'd be playing, I'd take the Turner.

Happy hunting, they're both great manufacturers.
  4. The Warwick that I played was a Stage II 5. It was indeed quite heavy.
  5. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Rick is a fine craftsman who makes wonderful instruments.

For those not familiar, his pedigree in instrumentmaking traces back to the early days of Alembic.