1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Rick Turner Renaissance RB5 Fretless bass - Near Mint

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by porterbass, Jun 20, 2014.

1. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Price:
    Strings:
    IMG_2124.JPG $1299 or best offer

Rick Turner Renaissance RB5FL lined fretless bass in near mint condition. I would actually call it mint but there is one very very slight dimple ding on the top lower bout. Very hard to see. Absolutely gorgeous woods with walnut back/sides and a silky spruce top that rivals the tops on some of my most expensive flamenco and classical guitars. Beautiful tort binding. Impeccable craftsmanship. The fretboard is in outstanding condition as it hasn't been played much. Note that it also includes the dingus I had Rick's shop make to match the fretboard. The dingus helps significantly in reducing any neck dive. I always played this sitting at home which I find extremely comfortable.

Presently has low action and can be easily adjusted via the truss rod. Plays like a dream...extremely easy playing fretless. Lots of mwaaaah! Regarding the strings, I put the TI Acousticore strings back on it (these are the strings Rick Turner designed for these basses), but I've had TI Jazz Flats on it the entire time I've owned it. I have Status-Graphite Tapewounds on my other Turner Ren fretless and love those also.

I'm only selling this because I really don't play much 5 string and I also have a Rick Turner Ren 4 fretless. I know I will regret this at some point and was going to keep it with the intent of focusing on 5 string more in the future. I don't have a case for it but will ship it in a pretty good Warwick padded gig bag to help protect it while shipping. This Turner is a bit snug length-wise for the bag so you might look to a different case. The Mono cases, including the Vertigo and the Reunion Blues Continental work great for these. I have a Gruv Gear GigBlade on order for it, but that won't arrive until later in the Summer. Note that I pack extremely well for shipping and have shipped some very expensive classical and flamenco guitars worldwide, as well as basses.

Bass Specifications:
    YEAR:
    BODY: Spruce top / Walnut back and sides
    NECK: Maple
    SCALE LENGTH: 35 inches
    STRING SPACING at BRIDGE: 19mm
    FINGERBOARD: Rosewood
    NUMBER OF FRETS: Fretless with 21 fret lines/markers
    INLAY: Mother of Pearl, dots on fretboard and the top side of the neck
    TRUSS ROD: Single rod - adjustable at headstock
    WEIGHT: 6.6 lbs
    MACHINE HEADS: Silver Chrome Hipshot Ultralight
    PICKUPS/ELECTRONICS: Rick Turner Timberline 18V
    CONTROLS: Volume, Tone, also bass boost and gain pots on the preamp drawer

Please note that I have only been on here since last summer and don't have a lot of feedback yet, but my user name is portchicago on evilbay and I have perfect feedback of over 1200 there, including a lot of very expensive classical and flamenco guitars as well has some bass gear. Like many of you, I do buy and sell instruments as I am building and shuffling my collection, and I'd prefer to continue building relationships here. Payment can be made via PayPal or if you are in the Chicago area, we can arrange for you to pick up (I'm in Lincoln Park in the city).

Here is a link to the Photobucket slideshow or you can see the photos directly in this thread below:

http://s1278.photobucket.com/user/porterchicago/slideshow/Turner Ren 5

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  2. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    IMG_2147.JPG IMG_2147.JPG

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  3. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    IMG_2141_zpsebee720c.

IMG_2124_zps94092ea5.

IMG_2109_zpsa5ae9058.

IMG_2136_zps023c2810.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    IMG_2118_zps28265322.

IMG_2114_zps1cd02a49.

IMG_2119_zpsea01bdac.

IMG_2121_zpsb43f3268.

5. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    IMG_2126_zps179df60f.

IMG_2125_zps50beed5b.

IMG_2115_zps399f759c.

IMG_2117_zps540af44f.

6. morguedoc71

morguedoc71

May 22, 2009
    So very tempting.

7. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Saturday night bump!

8. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Bump from a fellow Renaissance player. :cool:

I'll add, that if you're at all apprehensive about the fretless thing, don't be. After I had my own RB-5 Custom converted last year, the lined fretless was *very* easy to adjust to.

If you're looking to read more on these, here's a thread on TalkBass devoted to discussion of Turner/Renaissance instruments:

http://www.talkbass.com/index.php?threads/1042832/

And here's Rick's homepage:

http://www.rickturnerguitars.com/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  9. 3rdWatch

3rdWatch Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Escondido, Ca
    Bump for a great bass! I've owned 4, always came back for the amazing sound combo of the Thomastik Acousticore strings and preamp...probably the warmest fretless sound I've ever known.
    I'd weigh the bass though, I have yet to find one over 7 lbs...I don't think 9.9 lbs could be accurate, unless it was a solid body.

10. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I have one if these in a different wood but can speak for the amount of mwah.....more than ANY other bass I have ever played.....

11. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Thanks for the heads up about the weight... I had it listed as 9.9 lbs which was not accurate. (I had copied/pasted the format from a previous listing of mine.)

The weight is 6.6 lbs and is now corrected in the listing.

12. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Bump

13. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Price drop bump

14. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Friday night bump...

15. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    That's a great deal on a great bass! Man... wish I had room for a 4th Turner bass.

16. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Bump

17. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Humpday Bump

18. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Bump

19. funkydario

funkydario Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Lyon/France
    Hi, will you sell overseas ( France ) ?

20. porterbass

porterbass

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Sorry for the delay...just saw your post. I could look into the possibility. You can message me your info and I could look into shipping. I've shipped several high-end flamenco/classical guitars overseas so I'm familiar with the process.