Rick Turner vs Rob Allen vs Godin fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RS, Jun 20, 2001.

1. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    To those who have played these basses, which is the most:
    a: upright like sounding
    b: electric/agressive sounding
    c: versitile
    d: has best value (sound vs cost)

Just curious,
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yay...I'm first:D

a. Turner, close second RA
    b. Godin, hands down
    c. Godin
    d. If any of the three float your boat, that's the one. The Godin is the least expensive. For me it would be RA, then Godin, then Turner.
  3. I was really unimpressed with the Godin when I played it. Rick Turner and Rob Allens sound quite a bit different but great in their own rights. IMO the Rob allen has a more mellow URB type sound. This is in part due to the Deep Talkin' Bass Labella strings used. The Rick Turner basses have more of a modern sound with more mwhaa and more highs. The Rob Allen IMO had nicer fit and finish though YMMV.
  4. kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I'm afraid I can't comment about the basses other than the Turner, because I haven't touched them, but I thought I'd mention that I have a Renaissance fretless four that I am looking to trade for a fretted Renaissance or Electroline. I'm open to other suggestions, too.

Hope I'm not offending the posting gods by mentioning that here. If it helps any, I'm posting this exclusively to TalkBass. :)
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm only familiar with the Rob Allen. I will tell you this, though: IMHO, the Rob Allen was one of the sweetest feeling and sounding basses I've ever played!:D

It was so sweet feeling that I couldn't put it down in the store...the sales clerk had to yank it away from me:D

I s'pose he's a yanker;)LOL
  6. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    New to group. I own a Rob Allen MB-2 fretless and it is the best sounding bass I have ever owned.
    The piezos sound good through any amp or board. It blows everyone I play with away. Yes, the Turner and RA are different, but the final result, to my ears, is blatently apparent. I recently did a recording with a Big Band and people wanted to know what pickup I was using in my upright. It is that authentic sounding, with the Labella tapewounds. My 2cents.