Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rick vs fender geddy lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pil, Mar 4, 2005.

1. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Just wanted to say im never gonna pick my rickenbacker up again, im so pleased with my newly arrived GL Jazz, sounds better, and quite to my suprise plays better...and call me mad but im beggining to think it even looks better. And as for that neck :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Im am now a fender convert....i love them....thankyou fender :) :) :bassist:

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well... IMHO not all the Fenders are nearly as magical as the GL. I've been thru a bunch of them, mostly USA, including a really sweet USA P Dlx 5, and while I really liked many of them a lot, none of them swept me off my feet like my GL did. I hate black J's... big burst fan, but I was not leaving the store w/out this thing... no way. Even had to borrow money to get it at the time (more to that story, but save space here). Ironically, black J's are starting to grow on me now... :)

Bottom line is, you've only begun to appreciate it. Gig with it some, and really dig in and savor. These things have a growl to them that just seems to work better with more pressure, while at the same time, they really respond musically and resonate with a light touch too.

Trust me, I know a good bass when I play one. These are VERY good basses... steals for the money.

Be happy dude, you've made a GREAT choice.

EDIT: P.S. I love Ric's, my appreciation for the GL is not intended "as opposed to" a Ric, tho I do personally like the J better... mainly because it seems like you gotta' throw more power at a Ric to get it to cut thru. IMHO, anyway.

3. superjake

superjake

Nov 6, 2003
    dc
    I just got a GL about a month ago and I fall in love with it more and more each day. LOVE IT! :bassist:
    I have no need for my Mustang any more, it's seems like a little toy compared to my GL so I'll prolly just sell it!

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Are you talkin' about the short scale Fender Mustang bass? If so, PM me... I might be interested... my son want's to learn, and I don't wanna' drop much coin until I know he's really interested.

5. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    Yep, I call you mad.....how about crackers? The Rick will outlast that bass even in vibe and value....

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hmmm...a Fender Jazz bass with a thinner-than-standard neck that sounds better the harder you dig? My GAS has been stoked once again. Don't get me wrong, I love my current axes and can get everything I need from them, but part of me wants a 4 string to round out the stable and since I'm a digger who likes slim neck profiles...

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Me too. I'm mainly a fiver all the way, but this dang GL just plain kicks a**. It growls like crazy but you don't have to dig in to get great tone, either. It simply doesn't matter how you play it, it's awesome. Treat yourself to a test drive, and if the store has it set up even halfway decent, you'll likely be walkin' out with it.

8. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Welcome to the GL club, ull run into alot of others on the forum that feel the same way about their geddys.

PS. Vics i responded to ur PM, sorry if i took long, if u have any other questions just hit it up.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Got it. No prob. Thanks.

10. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

hummm i'll take your old ric, since you dont play it... :D

11. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    wow...nine reply's...im touched - thanks all!

However a problem as come up with the love of my GL...having had the rick over two years and learning to do basically everthing on it, ive found i cant slap (for fun) on the jazz because ive been using the pickup cover on the rick to kind of rest my arm on...

This leads me to thinking about getting the pickup cover for the jazz...but that would look a bit silly without the chrome fender F thingy over the bridge (or so i think)....but i doubt that would fit over the badass bridge....anyone tried this???

12. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I don't think that the neck pickup cover without the bridge one looks silly at all. In fact, I prefer the look of just the neck cover without the bridge cover on jazz basses. I've also seen several Lakland Joe Osborns with just the neck cover and looks cool to me (and others).

I think that the massive ashtray jazz bridge cover covers too much real estate. Others will disagree, but I dig one cover on jazz basses and two on p-basses. my $.02

13. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Marcus don't think so...

[​IMG]

14. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    ...that and most folks remove the "ashtray" that covers the bridge. It looks cool in the pictures, but many folks removed that and uses it as an ashtray, hence the nickname for "that chrome thingy over the bridge."

EDIT: And I wonder if there are any pictures out there that compare the neck profile with a standard Jazz bass and the Geddy side by side...

15. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK

lol...point taken...im sold :bassist:

16. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    I'm with you all the way on this one !! Nothing could EVER replace my Ric 4003 !! :bassist:

17. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    ahhh come on now...not even a 4004? those things are gorgeous - in the right colours!

18. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I jsut sold a 4004 because I could not handle the walnut body.....did not hold up well to my playing style....sounded good but not quite Ric....Very modern Ric sound....

19. Bob the Bass

Bob the Bass

Aug 13, 2004
    UK
    Nah !! Going for a 4003 fretless in Blueburst (now that WILL be gorgeous !!) :hyper: :bassist:

20. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I've replaced all my other basses twice over, but I will never EVER get rid of my 1986 Rickenbacker 4003. Never! I just love the look and sound of it.