1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rick Wagoner "Stepping Down" as CEO of GM

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tplyons, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    You gotta figure that the next guy can't do any worse.

3. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You know, as of late I've turned into a really cynical, skeptical slob.
    All I can say is that I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

4. :eyebrow:

This should prove interesting. I have to point out though, it must really kill one's pride/manhood to be fired by the President of the United States though.

5. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Sacrificial lamb with a golden parachute, no doubt. More worthless populist politics.

Not to be political... I don't endorse any party.

6. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    COO to CEO. not really that big of a change.
    I figure that Waggoner was just a sacrifical lamb to appease the outraged public. When it is all said and done, it's going to be the same ol' stuff.

The only thing that will change the auto makers situation is to let them go bankrupt and get out of their union contracts. They need some MAJOR restructuring which is not going to be accomplished by cutting loose one of their bigshot corperate executive.

7. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    Dang middy - beat me to it!

8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

agreed .

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yyyyep

10. This is the first time I've been hopeful about GM in many, many years. IMO, the management of the Big Three just does not get it. To be fair to them, they are saddled with all that legacy stuff like a huge, outmoded dealer network, ridiculous retirement costs, and difficult union contracts (and quality that continues to lag, if my mother's new Buick is any indication.. good god, what a piece of junk compared to the competition).

The sooner they get into bankrupcy, the quicker they will be able to do what they should have done 20 years ago IMO.

I wish them luck, and my house valuation wishes them luck!

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    What I don't get it is the less than reassuring ads GM is running, like the

"Just when America needs it most...Buick Lacrosse"...

or the Saturn one

"We're not going anywhere...Saturn just released 5 new models last year, we build cars people want"...

Ok, well aren't both of these marques on the chopping block? Isn't Buick a less than desireable brand for the under 70 segment?

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Blah, blah. Nothing will change, except this dude getting a fatty paycheck to do less now. I'd love something like that from my employer.

-Mike

13. I thought the Wagoneer was a Jeep/Chrysler product...

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    The Mitten
    Scary Stuff

Government tellin private industry what to do

Also Obama told Chrysler they have to merge with Fiat within one month or no more $$$$

I am torn, I like the change and the gov't forcing these companies to make it. AT the same time I hope gov't intervention in private industry ends with that! Kinda like what happened with the Patrioit Act..illegal wire taps etc..these things can go too far.

15. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    At the risk of sounding political, our government and big business are already one in the same.

16. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

A stunt for sure, but it's not like GM doesn't need new leadership. I don't understand the people that are detesting this as government forcing a private business to do something. GM is on its knees, begging for government money, so the government should have the right (and ought) to put conditions on the money. Additionally, Wagoner stepped down on his own free will, even though it was at the suggestion of the administration. No lines were crossed here.

17. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    GM = Government Motors :meh:

:help:

I find this kind of Government Intervention really scary.

18. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    How does anyone answer this without getting political???
    The unions, Fed bailouts, getting fired by Obama.
    They drank the poison by accepting the bailout money.
    They should restructure in chapter eleven, save what they can and give Washington the finger.

19. +1,000,000

I know, I know. No politics. But as Bassgrinder said how do you even discuss this without getting political.

But do we really still have a free market economy after this? Give them the loan or don't but don't be big brother.

20. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    i also have to say... how do we comment on this without being political. it's now a political matter. :meh: but i'll do my best to comment on it and tell you my thoughts without trying to get "political".

i'm not a big star wars guy but there is a line from one of the newer movies that keeps being played over and over and over again in my head.

"so this is what it looks like when a republic dies"

and trust me, i'm not saying this because of who's in office. this line applies for so many things that have been going on for a while in our government. so before you think i'm bashing your guy, think again. i have enough opinions to go around. :D