Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Suckbird, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    I would like to get one used on the bay,
    I can see both 4001 and 4003 i guess the 4003 series replaced the 4001, how would you compare them?
    I'm going to get it shipped to europe, i live in sweden.
    So, how you think they can handle slap and metal, it looks impossible to a slap a 4003 with the bridge pickup covering the strings or whatever it does, but metal? i heard somebody say arch enemy used a rick for a time.
    The only clips i've heard of a ric is chris squier and i have to say it sounds great!
  2. The biggest difference in the 4003 and 4001 is in the construction of the neck.
    The 4003's truss system was redesigned to make it more solid and stronger to potential problems that occured on the 4001's neck (even though these problems were rare)

Personally i believe you can play any style of music on any bass..now your gonna hear alot of people disagree with me, some say that it isnt good for slap. I dont believe that personally. A proper technique can get you through any music style on any bass.

Lemmy from Motorhead uses Rics...most of his older models are modified with thunderbird pickups.

There is no reason you cannot use a Ric for metal.
  3. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    The late Cliff Burton of Metallica played a Ric Exclusively. Check out his "Anesthesia - pulling teeth" to hear him solo on it. Pretty killer actually.

4. Duh, i dunno why that totally skipped my brain :rollno:
    Shame on me.

Although his Ric was modified as well.
  5. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    So the 4003 is meant to be better?
    Also, the bridge pickups is different between the 4001 and 4003 right?

Anyway, i'm thinking of bidding on this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2384&item=3766641317&rd=1
    how much you think the price will end on?
  6. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    the 4001 is more of the tried and true..... old school tech. if you get one take care of it similarly to what you would do an acoustic - no drastic temp changes, stuff like that.

the 4003, i think is a little more modern. The neck is made to be a little more resistent to some of the stuff that would happen to the 4001, but that was really uncommon, and usually only happend out of extreme use or neglect.

Either way, they're both cool basses. Makes want to get one, if Nino wasn't going to be making me one ;)
  7. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    personally - i wouldn't buy a Ric without playing one first, or the exact one I was buying, especially when your talking '60's and '70's models such as that. Some basses are just thay way. But it is of course, your money
  8. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    If you could tell me a place to try a rickenbacker in sweden, then i will try it.
  9. Not necessarily better...
    Some people perfer the slimmer neck profile of the 4001. The truss system is supposed to be better though...stronger. But alot of people used/use 4001's with no problems to the neck at all.

The pickups are close to the same, but not quite..i believe they are wound tighter nowadays...
    I believe the capacitor which lowered output (but some say gave the Ric its signature sound) was discontinued in the early 70's Not sure if this bass would have it or not as the exact year of the bass is unknown.

That 70's Ric appears to be in great shape...and i think it would probally end somewhere between $1300 to $1500. But thats just a guess. Its hard to tell with these things.
  10. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004

you got a point there - don't ya chief ;)
  11. Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    The modern pickups are wound HOTTER. Their output is higher. They add a little different dimension to the sound. Each decade has a little different wind. The 70's pickups are quieter than the 80's which are quieter than the 90's and so forth. I have a couple of each. They all are good for different things. I use them for ALL styles. I recently acquired a 97 4004 Cheyenne I and it smokes a lot of my old 4001 basses for output (of course, it is hotrodded with 500k pots and the Ric humbuckers!!)
    Talk about growl....I may have to part with one of the 4001 basses to keep this one.

Definitely try one before you buy one if you can. They are great basses. Distinctive sound and feel. I slap the heck out of one of them too so it can be done...They are great for rock and metal....I have been playing a rock gig and travelling on the weekends and they are MAMMOTH through the SVT and 8x10...
  12. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    A straying off topic here but Cliff did't play Rics only. He also used an Aria Pro II and Alembic Spoiler. Cliff I think epitomized what a metal bassist was and he, as mentioned, also used a Ric 4001.
  13. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    B'Aces High is correct with his comment that the main difference between the 4001 and 4003 are the truss rods, but not so much neck construction.

The 4001 rods are made from "soft" cold rolled steel, where the 4003 rods are made from "harden" rolled steel. The difference is that the harden steel is able to with stand the sometime excessive tension that is placed on the neck of the bass by various types and gauges of strings. "Soft" cold rolled steel when improperly adjusted could not handle the excessive string tensions, so the rods would bend.

When a neck adjustment was done to compensate for high tension strings on a 4001, the result could be that the truss rod would bend excessively and pop the fretboard up off the neck.

When and if this happened, Rickenbacker would not honor their warranty stating that the bass had been incorrectly used and voided the factory warranty if the instrument was new.

This didn't happen very often, but it did happen during the 70's and 80's a few times. I believe it's been blown way out of proportion over the years.

There are electronic differences between each model as well, but I won't bother to go there.

What you should know is that the method used to adjust the neck of a 4001 is completely different than that of a 4003.
    I have seen too many 4001 basses that have been ruined because of imporper neck adjustment. If you owned a 4001 and need the neck adjusted, I strongly recommend that you take it to a luthier (repair shop) that KNOWS how to adjust it.

Hope this was of help to you.

And yes, i'm a longtime 4001 owner. And no i've never had a problem with the neck of my 4001 (ever)! I prefer the 4001 to a 4003, but that's just my personal taste. You can see a photo of my 4001 in the gallery section.
  14. I didn't think a Ric was great for slapping (owned a 4001 10 years ago---5 years or so into my bass playing life) but 10 years later I got a 4003 & because my technique was better I found it easy to slap. I thought thought the 4003 sounded a lot better than the 4001.
  15. Ricks feel weird to slap, but it's not that bad. I guess when you're used to a Jazz bass anything will feel different. I found it a bit harder to slap on a Rick but it's nothing a few minutes of practice can't fix.
  16. The fretboard of my 72 (or 74) 4001 popped off.

I attribute it to the previous owner tinkering with it. He told me the truss rods needed to be adjusted weekly. For the 5 years I owned it, I didn't have any reason to touch them at all, until I decided to take it in get it set up before I sold it. Then the fretboard popped off. The guy who was doing the setup felt horrible and he paid to get it fixed- I don't think it was much more of a problem with the bass as it was a tinker**** owner.