Rickenbacker 3503 one-off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BeeTL, Aug 5, 2022.

1. BeeTL

BeeTL Commercial User

Sep 26, 2006
    Oldsmar, FL
    Brad Lowe, Lowe Custom Guitars
    Rickenbacker 3503 one-off...pretty cool!

Facebook

[​IMG]

2. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    sweet, time for some of these killer looking basses to be built and sold to us lovers...hate this one off crap

BrentSimons, nattiep and WillyW like this.
  3. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    I’d pick one up from a run, but I wouldn’t pay boutique pricing…

BrentSimons, tommyr01 and sleddogn like this.
  4. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    They know there is a market for these cool basses with cool colors. I'm sooooo tired of the black 4003's, and Fireglo's. I paid extra just to get my blue 4003s just to be different and have a nice bright color...

Freekmagnet likes this.
  5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    Purty! My first thought seeing that was "Bananas and a toaster, mmmm breakfast!"

George Dennis likes this.
  6. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Looked nice, until I noticed the pickguard stops short of the bridge pickup surround.

7. chriscarcinogen

chriscarcinogen Gold Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    San Francisco
    I'd prefer the paddle headstock on this one.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Would be nicer with a RI HS PU and toaster.

9. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Wasn’t ric selling these one offs on eBay a number of years ago ? And if I remember correctly , no one on talkbass actually bought any on them ?

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    Maybe not on TB, but they all do sell.

WillyW likes this.
  11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

I like it. Schaller roller, retro style guard, non-horseshoe pup for removable cover, face dots only, cool paint job. Can't tell if the fretboard is bubinga or cherry (or whatever), but if it's gloss-finished, I'd like it even more. Checker'd binding would be icing on the cake.

[​IMG]

WillyW likes this.
  12. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    Lots of design mistakes IMO.
    - it’s a 325 style body. Why not use that PG shape, instead of this monstrosity? More body color to admire that way.
    - why not give us 2 high gains or toasters or whatever? The whole 4000 series bridge pickup assembly is a problem, why reintroduce it on a new model?
    - knobs are too close together, why?
    - why only 2 knobs and no switches on a 2 pickup bass?
    Especially nowadays, when people want multi-knob preamps?

13. OnTheDownLow

OnTheDownLow Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2020
    It would look much better to me if it had a white pickguard and TRC. Also, horseshoe and toaster pickups as well.

14. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    would look better at my house so you all couldn't ogle it :woot: or judge, lol

Qlanq and Chickenwheels like this.
  15. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    1) It is an elongated body, arguably 325 or 330 inspiration, again, elongated, like the original 4005 body is arguably an elongated 360 body.
    2) The bridge is a 4004 style Schaller bridge with adjustible string spacing, not the new 4003 bridge.
    3) The pickguard, etc., is bassed (pun intended) on the original late '50's/early 60's 4000 pickguard.

16. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Looks so retro cool!

Spectrum likes this.
  17. This is very cool.
    Serek has made this sort of thing cool, kind of teaching gran to suck eggs in a way. Good to see Gran have a go!

18. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & MD
    Yes. New bridge is fine.
    I was talking about the bridge-pickup-monstrosity-that-might-have-been-necessary-for-the-horseshoe-but-has-been-completely-useless-for-fifty-years thing.
    I recognized the pickguard inspiration, but it doesn’t work on this body shape, nor is it needed IMO.
    So what about the controls?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  19. Looks pretty cool. Not exactly my set of features, but as a one-off, somebody out there's gonna love it. Is that color "TV Yellow"?

20. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I appreciate your opinions. Actually, I agree with your comments on the horseshoe pickup; that's why I have a Rickenbacker 4002 (yes, "2," not "1" or "3,") instead, and as much as you are concerned about the pickguard and control position, I am just as concerned that the upper horn is not long enough to balance the instrument, just like a 350 guitar with its longer neck on a 325 body is neck heavy, and that the different angle to the controls is not player friendly. But also remember nostalgia: there will be those players who hang on to every quirk and foible of first generation instruments.