Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4000 question???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob Martinez, Feb 13, 2006.

1. I own a 1974 Rickenbacker 4000 bass, and I wondered if anyone out there has an idea what the market value for this bass is? I need the info for insurance reasons. It is in VERY GOOD to FINE condition.

I paid $350 for it in 1978, but have no idea how much it would cost to replace it if stolen or damaged. Thanks!

2. If you want an "official" appraisal for insurance purposes, your best bet is to check something like the Blue Book of Vintage Guitars and Collactibles, which you could get at Amazon, or do online lookups (for a fee, of course) here: http://www.orionbluebook.com/orion/vintageguitars.asp

You could also check with a vintage dealer. I did a quick search of the online guitar dealers' database at http://www.gbase.com , but only saw one 4000, and it didn't have a price listed.

Mike

3. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i'll pay $350 for it now.

4. HAAAA HAAAA!! HAHA!! THAT's funny! Add $1,000 to that amount and I STILL wouldn't sell it! I'll check out those sources.

5. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

teehehehe oh darn, at least i tried.

6. Nope, ya can't blame a guy for tryin'!

I'd never seel this bass anyway, but it IS in great shape and sounds fantastic, being a one pick up bass.

7. sounds like a nice bass, its genna be worth a packet

8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Depending on condition and colour, $1500 - $2000 is what they've been selling for on Ebay.

If the body has had a neck pickup route added to accomodate a neck pickup, then you can reduce the price by up to $500.00

Your $350.00 investment in 1978 could bring a nice return if you ever decided to sell it.

TD

9. Thanks Thornton. No major work on this, all of it is stock, though I did remove the plate covering the pick up years ago. A dark red wine color, set neck, white pick guard, plays like butter.

It is in GREAT condition!That will help for the insurance!