1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4001/4003 vs Dingwall Combustion

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tkcthulu, Nov 18, 2010.

1. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    You play progressive rock and classic rock.

Which one!?

Also, you slap.

2. Rickenbacker. Only because it's more my thing. Not "better," just more suited to me.

You can't try both?

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    Is both an option? :D

Rickenbacker. Because I know that the old 4001's are some of my absolute favorite instruments out there. I'd love to give a Dingwall a tryout though.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    i also would choose the Ric, but I already have a few. Choosing a bass is like buying clothes, you have to try them on to know if it fits.

5. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Both.

If you're really that serious about prog and classic rock, you want a Ric for the same reason lots of people say you need a P Bass for certain gigs. The Dingwall is really cool though. The basses have very different features and it's comparing apples to oranges.

Slap wouldn't really be a factor here, both basses slap just fine. There are very few basses I consider hard to slap.

6. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    Oh, I can only try the Dingwall, no Rickenbackers where I live

7. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Where do you live? It's a common misconception there are no Rics to be played. Actually there are lots of places with them in stock right now.

8. I agree with that last comment especially. Only bass I've played that was really difficult to slap was an EB-3 copy.

9. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    Alberta, Canada.

I can't really go anywhere outside of like my quadrant of Calgary since I don't have any transportation currently.

10. So, what are you playing on now?

11. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    A Hofner Icon. *snicker*

12. What are you playing through?

13. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    Fender rumble 150

14. Are you sure you don't want to upgrade your amp first? Though a Hofner does seem like an odd choice for one's only bass.

15. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    Yeah, I was just thinking of getting a better bass first because I think I'm not developing as a bassist as well with just the Hofner

16. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    I would try to upgrade your amp as well. It will make a huge difference.

Although if I were in your situation, I would definitely replace the Hofner too. Those can be cool, but I wouldn't want one as my only bass.

I would say you'd be fine with either one. Ric's CAN be slapped. Definitely get your hands on a Ric before you buy one, they are pretty "love-or-hate".

Also, take note that certain years of Ric's have completely different neck profiles. Some are chunky, some are thin. As well as 4003's before 2006 don't have the vintage tone push/pull pot (uses a capacitor to emulate the 4001 sound).

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Dingwall. And not a combustion. A *Dingwall*.

You can try to slap a Ric - and you might have more luck than I did...

18. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    I can't afford a "real" dingwall, so how much difference does it have?

19. Psh, Ricks are perfectly slapable. Use the bridge pickup, EQ in a bit more low end/low mids, and slap away.

I agree with Dub56, though. Try before you buy. Then again, you can probably sell a Rick for what you paid for it if you don't like it. Especially if you buy used.

20. tkcthulu

tkcthulu

Nov 15, 2010
    Calgary, AB
    So would it still win over a Dingwall even if not tried out first?