Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rickenbacker 4001 and 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeTheBassist, Nov 7, 2002.

1. whats the diference between a rickenbacker 4001 and a rickenbacker 4003?

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  3. two!!!!hahaha....bassically the difference is the 4001 was designed to use flatwounds,and the 4003 is designed to use roundwounds(or flats)

4. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Damn, wish I would had said that!:(

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I'm confused about something... The 4001 has a thinner neck and weaker truss rods, and was made for flats, whereas the 4003 with its thicker neck is safe for both flats and rounds, right?
    I thought flats had higher tension than rounds of the same gauge.

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Most flats do.
    I never understood the reasoning behind that one myself!
    For one thing, there were nothing BUT flats until the late 60s. Only thing I can figure is maybe the 4001's were designed for a lighter guage flat.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I personally don't feel the trussrod update had anything to do with flats vs. rounds - I think it was a re-engineering of an area that occasionally caused problems (when improperly adjusted).

8. I think rounds do have more tension than flats,which is why they re-designed the truss rod system...This is coming from the book "Rickenbacker,a complete history by Richard R Smith."introduced in 1979,the model 4003 started as the 4001 redeigned for use w\roundwound strings.>>>it has an improved truss rod system and different wood lamination so it can use any type or string.>>in 1986 the 4003 replaced the 4001 entirely".