1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Rickenbacker 4001 basses

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bdgotoh, Oct 8, 2017.

1. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Price:
    $850
    Strings:
    Shipping is included in the 48 states only. Please PM me if you have questions or want more pictures.

The ONLY trades I'm interested in:

-MusicMan Sterling HH 4 - Neptune Blue PDN or Honey Roasted PDN limited runs (mahogany body), or a Stealth with ebony fingerboard

-F bass BN-4 or VF-4 with P pickup, 8.0 lbs or less, ebony or rosewood fingerboard, with preamp preferred

First is a 1980 Rickenbacker 4001 in Jetglo. I lost a 1979 Rick 4001 that I absolutely loved to a fire and I've been looking for a replacement for years. I stumbled across a couple of rough 4001 basses that were from the same era and thought maybe I could rescue them and find a gem. Unfortunately for them, I found a really great 1978 Fireglo and haven't touched them since. Ah well.

This bass has had the nut replaced and it's not a perfect job but it seems ok. It was routed for guitar-sized humbucker pickups so there's wood removed under the pickguard and the chrome bridge pickup surround. The pickguard was also routed and they drilled several holes for switches. It needs a new pickguard and pickguard screws! The knobs are missing but not the switch cap. The truss rods have not been installed correctly so they'll need some attention. They are doing the job and the neck/action are fine right now but while I'm playing they rattle inside the neck. The bridge is a Hipshot aluminum and very nice, there's a screw broken off underneath it if you want to put an original bridge back on. The bridge pickup is from the late 1990s era, good output but non-adjustable polepieces. The neck pickup sounds good but cuts out on occasion, not sure if it's a minor or serious wiring problem. Frets have light wear only, not sure if they have been previously dressed. The truss rod cover was white and was painted black, one lower corner is broken off. The strap buttons are new and there's an extra hole drilled by the upper horn button. The back of the body has a stripe diagonally where there was white tape on it so the finish wore differently over time. Comes in the original hardcase, its in rough shape with a missing middle latch but it is solid and does the job. The case has "ELMO" painted on the side! The fingerboard is rosewood so I can't ship this bass outside the USA.

Price is $850 shipped SOLD

1980_Rick_Jetglo.jpg

Second is a 1981 Rickenbacker 4001 in Jetglo. This bass had diagonal tape stripes all over the front of the body and headstock for some reason. You can see where they were but it doesn't seem to have done any real damage, it might all buff out if you wanted to try. This bass has been played and it's actually a really good one. The neck is really comfortable, no sign there was ever a fingerboard separation, the frets have about 40-50% wear in places so they'll need to be leveled and recrowned but I think they still have enough meat on them for that. Pickups and bridge and controls look original, pickguard is definitely new and doesn't match the screwholes so it needs a new one along with pickguard screws. Knobs are missing their silver label inserts. Truss rod cover was white and painted black, one lower corner is broken and it looks like the other lower corner broke off and was glued back together before the paint job. Two of the tuners have unoriginal post screws but they work fine. LOTS of finish wear and dings front and back, lots of finish missing on the back of the body and back and sides of the neck, and there's some interesting finish checking in the clearcoat on the fingerboard. They had real issues with strap buttons, there are broken off screws from strap buttons on the neck heel, on the back of the upper horn, and there are 3 extra holes on the edge of the upper horn in the normal place for strap buttons. Comes in a well used but solid original hardcase with all 3 latches. The fingerboard is rosewood so I can't ship this bass outside the USA.

Price is $850 shipped SOLD

1981_Rick_Jetglo.jpg

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    tommyr01, Brio, jebmd and 2 others like this.
  2. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    I can dig both Rics...Hmmmm let's talk....

Marc61 likes this.
  3. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    very interested in the guild

what is the model number on it? what does it say on the truss rod cover? can't quite see it

4. marantz10

marantz10 Master Bass Playa

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Dibs on the '81 Ric 4001. PM sent.

jebmd likes this.
  5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i'm in selling mode right now due to my need for new photo equipment, but i'm gonna watch that interceptor from the shadows