1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4001 C64

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PartyFindsYOU, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Well, I picked up my first Rickenbacker today, and I was absolutely blown away by how amazing it was. After relishing the time I had trying it out, I went home to research it, and identified it as a 4001 C64. I've seen and heard about a lot of Ricks, but I figured the Rick-ficionados on TB would be able to explain this to me:

What is the difference between, say, a 4001 from any year and the C64? Looks are one thing, I want to know what the tonal differences are.

Rick owners, you are a lucky bunch.

2. You can find out more info at the RRF in their bass model of the week section. Here is the listing for the 4001C64.

Also, you might want to put your bass in the register. In the eventuality that it ever gets stolen, you can report it there as stolen and the Ric owners there will actually look for it. They recently helped a guy find his after it was stolen.

3. I don't own it (yet), but I'm hunting for the right model. They are not easy to come by. Thanks, though.

4. has this C64 got the horseshoe bridge pickup?

that's the main difference in overall sound. i haven't noticed any real difference between bound, unbound, single truss or dual truss Rics, but the pickups tend to be different, even between several of the same model with the same pickup.

the bridge horseshoe has far more gain and midrange girth than a hi-gain that's normally in the bridge position.

toaster pickups (usually in the neck position) have a more vintage, warm and detailed tone, at the expense of some gain (compared with hi-gains).

then you have the subtle differences depending on where the neck pickup is mounted (earlier examples have it closer to the end of the fretboard).

5. It does indeed. So, if I was looking for that punchy, crisp tone that Ricks are so famous for, the C64 would be a good grab? I really liked the neck on that model, as well. It was really thin and easy to get around. I've heard that the neck on the C64 was actually thinner than other 4000-series models.

If the price tag wasn't so hefty, I'd grab it on the spot. SamAsh had it priced at $3175 - is that what I should expect if I were seeking this particular bass? I'll definitely be checking craigslist for a good deal.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The necks are the thinnest of any production Ric currently, the tone is amazing, and the price is high. Not sure, but you could prolly get one for less than that, but not like 1000 less. I've seen them at or around $2800.

7. damn, prices for Rics have gone up like mad since i bought mine (last one bought in 2007, cheap). that is a lot of coin though...but you will find it hard to source a used Ric with a horseshoe.

all Rics will give a midrange-heavy bite with sustain, but the horseshoe just has gobs of it. if i could find another v63 bridge pickup for cheap i'd be on it like a fly...

c64 will have a "better" resale than most other off-the-shelf Ric models if that's what motivates you. no binding on the body will be nicer on your wrists too, esp. if you play with a pick.

8. Yours in a couple of mouse clicks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Rickenback...itar?hash=item2a015920f6&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

...assuming you have the $$$ to back up your GAS...and 2800 would be exactly correct...

...that said, I could never bring myself to spend that much money on a bass...even a Ric...but if you caan, go for it!! (Surprised nobody's mentioned the upside-down headstock)

9. I do love that headstock... still, going just short of 3 grand is a bit much more than I'm willing to invest? What would be a comparable bank account-friendly Rick?

10. Finding one used, probably not through CL or eBay--likely at a pawn shop or some other way of finding one.

Those chances become slimmer, though.

I did find my '86 4003S/5 that was a case queen for the last 20 years just by being persistent with a guy who worked at GC. After me buying stuff for the kidlet for over a year and this guy asking if I wanted any help with the basses and my response of "not unless you have a Ric sitting somethere", he finally broke down and said his brother had a 5 string Ric for sale--for a great price.

I took it home a few weeks later after the details were worked out.

While it's not me finding my first Ric after stupidly selling it 2 decades ago, I do have my second Ric now and unless the world blows up, I won't be selling this one like I did the other one.

Unless you're dead set on getting one quickly, I'd say wait and the world (and patience) will get you a Ric that you want.

11. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The thing I liked about the C64 I tried was no body binding to dig into your arm. Great bass. That or a 4003S (also no binding) would be my ideal Ric to own.

12. Is the binding really that big of a hassle? I don't use a pick, so it probably won't make that much of a difference.

So, patience is key, then? I would like to grab a Rick as soon as the opportunity arises, but I am not exactly itching to pay top dollar. I'm holding out for Mapleglo, anyway.

13. Some people don't mind the binding. Some people do. It depends on how you play.

I forget how the binding affects you since I haven't had a Ric with binding in about 18 years or so.

However, I can say that one without binding is awesome.

I prefer the JetGlo since I can touch it up and you'd never be able to tell the difference. :)

If it comes your way, just have some cash stashed for it. Or better yet, just start putting some cash away on a weekly basis and before you know it, you'll have it.