Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4001 price?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tenchu, Oct 23, 2004.

1. On Thursday I saw a Rickenbacker 4001 Mapleglo (I don't know what year) in a local shop for €900, which is approximately $900. The bridge pickup is missing and the bottom corner of the pickguard is sort of chipped (can't think of a better word to describe it right now). I'm planning on going to the shop on Monday and to get more information about it and probably play it. Do you think €900 is a fair price?

2. nein.

What year

1970-1980?

1981-1990

1990-PRESENT

The older ones sell higher on ebay: like the price of a new one around 1000 euro.

Newer ones used can be found for around 700-800 euro. Check out ebay for the prices of used.

How is the neck? Rics have 2 truss rods.

3. That's what I'm planning on checking on Monday.

4. Its hard to tell without seeing it. But a missing bridge PU and a damaged pickguard isnt cool...is there any other damage? scratches..dents?

Its not like mapleglo is a rare colour either.

The guard and pickup are easily replacable...however it already sounds like it seen some action.

If you are interested in this...make sure you inspect the neck...that was the 4001's weakest link. Bring up the/any faults with the seller.

Personally from what you say i wouldnt want to spend more than $800 on it..maybe even $7-750...As i said..its not a rare bass and isnt 100%....$900 is a bit much IMO

5. I meant the pickup cover. Sorry 'bout that.
    Let's say you can see it's been used.

6. Alrighty :)

Thats easily found...

As i said before..hard to judge its worth without actually seeing it...if its pretty clean and neck is really good i would go for it...but only after trying to talk the seller down first by making point of any flaws it might have.

7. I thought I'd buy it if I could get it for €700. How much is a pickup cover and a new pickguard?

8. Yeah I would look for another without so much evidence of foul play or misuse. I would get any of the 4000 series, not just the 4001.

I am always lloking for a beat up Ric for under $400. I don't want to pay more because I would'nt use it much. But in my opnion, one of the coolest looking, most unique and unchanged axes of all time.

9. Pickup cover is about $15 and Pickguards will vary but i believe they are anywhere around $30 to $50..depending on colour and style (4001, 4003).

10. It's got triangular inlays and I've seen a few pictures of 4001's with dot inlays. Does that mean anything?

11. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Bought one new in 85' for $899.00 USD. Hated it after a few months due to weight (killed my shoulder) and the dreaded bridge pickup guard. The guard was always in the way for me since I played finger style only resting upon the neck pick up. Great quality and sound though. Sounds like the one your looking at needs to be a bit less $ IMO.

12. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    900.00 EUR = 1,142.19 USD

13. I didn't know it was that much. But considering the availability (I don't think Rics are very common around here), I think you will pay more for them over here than you would in the U.S. or Canada. Almost everything bass-related is more expensive over here from what I've seen. Therefore, I'd say you can compare a 900 EUR Rickenbacker over here with a 900 USD Rickenbacker in the U.S., if you see what I mean.

14. It shouldnt affect price whatsoever.

15. Why don't you buy a new one mail order and do it on a day when the euro is trading strong? I am thinking if you buy a new one you don't even need to see it. You just need to find a dealer that will deal with you and ship to europe.

16. Shipping and import duties would probally kill him. In the end i dont think he wouldnt be saving that much.

17. I mean it seems as though the dot inlays are on the later versions or something like that.

18. Aye...im pretty sure it dont mean much else than an indicator of its age.
    I looked around for a bit on this subject this morning at the Ric archives and FAQ's at the Ric forums...i couldnt come up with a definitive awnser.
    Thats why i believe it would just refer to its age.