1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4001s Special at Guitar Center

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pentatonic, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    byoung93888 and godofthunder59 like this.
  2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Oooooo dats nice!

bobyoung53 likes this.
  3. Went to GC today. They had one on the floor. Looks fantastic, matte finish body and neck, played well, sounded great. But the price, yikes!

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401850886.119377.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401850906.035769.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    byoung93888 likes this.
  4. Gahhhhhh. As soon as I saw the photos I thought of what basses I need to sell to get this. Then the price $3289.99 and then add in cali's ridiculous sales tax, I am out of the game on this.

5. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    RICS are fantastic, but that price is pretty far removed from reality. For $3,300 you could buy 2 x 4003s which are far superior to the 4001s.

6. Looks like an attempt at copying Paul McCartney's Wings-era Ric. Nice, but out of my comfort zone in price.

7. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just had a panic attack thinking where I was going to get the money for that. It's EXACTLY what I want from ric, Horseshoe, Toaster, no binding, contours...and then I saw the price. $2000 I could swing. $3300? Not so much. How can it be more than a 4003? It LACKS features, such as the inlays and the binding. It would stand to reason that would require less work and therefore be less expensive (like the 4001S was intended to be originally). But no...

P.S. - Limited to 50 apparently. Ugh, I love you Rickenbacker, but sometimes your business practices are infuriating.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
    PubliclyViewable and JMacBass65 like this.
  8. stacker

stacker Banned

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    50 instruments? Why? As has been said, it's nothing more than a V63 so why not just extend the run and drop the ridic price? If they were gonna do another limited run, I think most folk would like to see the 4002 but we all know where wee John stands on that issue.

9. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Ha!

10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I was upset at the price until I saw the addition of a free case.

TMARK, tbz and hover like this.
  11. HMMM I am wondering what % is cali's sales tax?? Bet it does not come close to where I live in Canada. Sales tax here is.......................................................................15%:banghead:

12. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    I am assuming that the above quote is missing the "sarcasm" emoticon, right?

13. +1. Payday is tomorrow. I think the bank'll let me skate on one mortgage payment and the kids can get by on ramen and fried bologna till Thanksgiving. Stand by for my NBD report.

14. inthebassclef

inthebassclef Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    Here is what I can say into this conversation. I have a C64s. Simply superb amazing tone and playability. However, I paid $2200 for mine. It is an amazing bass but lets be real here for $3200, that is just ridiculous.
    If you real want to looks and sound search for a used C64S. They are out there.

15. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Two words: Limited Edition. Those two words are used by retailers to jack up the price on virtually anything regardless of whether it's more expensive to produce or not.

Here's two words I use to counter it: Marketing Hype.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  16. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    That price is absurd. I bought my C64 new for $1750, beautiful bass but I only took it out once or twice a year to look at it. I sold it for $2250.

CBRXJ likes this.
  17. artechoke

artechoke

Nov 9, 2012
    Rhode Island
    At $3290.00, its prohibitively expensive, but $3289.99 is well within my impulse-buy range. Well played GC.

jim777, tbz and RedHotFuzz like this.
  18. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    It's a beautiful bass & I would.be surprised if they don't sell most of those 50 by this time next year. Expensive, but clearly marketed at collectors.

TMARK, Red Four and RedHotFuzz like this.
  20. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Agreed. Way out of line price wise.

kcole4001 likes this.