No longer available Rickenbacker 4001v63 1984 [first year]

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Komadinic, Jul 12, 2020.

1. Komadinic

Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    I acquired this bass in a trade a couple months ago but as I'm not a bass player primarily i find it to be a bit too much for me. I'd honestly much rather use the funds from selling it to buy myself a nice guitar and keep my cheaper bass to fulfill my low end needs.

This bass was build in 1984, both the cavity and the serial number date it to that year. It's also the first year of the model which is always a plus. It has an original magnetic horseshoe pickup in the bridge. It's fireglo and has a little amount of wear and tear but is in great condition for it's age.

When i first got this bass it had some issues. The action was way off (over 5mm on E string) and it was a pain to play. My luthier fixed this by pressure fitting maple into the neck pickup route, which was for some reason massive and pulled the neck inwards, it has been corrected and the frets were leveled. The whole instrument was cleaned up, there is no buzzing at any fret and it sounds fantastic. It has no bridge tail lift at all. Neck is straight as an arrow.

Everything on the bass is original, i don't have the original case it came in but the instrument itself is same as it left the factory. This includes the factory mute for the bridge. Overall I'd rate it at 8.5/10 cosmetically speaking, neck has almost no wear at all.

If you're looking you probably know it's a rare bird. Only a first few had a magnetic pickup and the two i saw sold on reverb were both mapleglo, fireglo seems to be a bit rarer from what i found.

I'm located in Brooklyn and I don't feel like shipping an instrument of this value is something I'd feel safe doing. I'd much prefer someone to come play it and fall in love with it before i get paid. Theoretically this should only increase in value since it's discountinued, has a magnetic pup and is a first-year model.

Looking at sold 4001v63s on reverb I'd say my price is quite fair in comparison. Serial number is XK1230. I'm always open to reasonable offers, and i might trade it for a guitar or bass of the same value if it's something i like. Any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me!

IMG_20200529_162207.jpg
    IMG_20200712_182021.jpg
    IMG_20200712_012630.jpg IMG_20200529_162213.jpg IMG_20200529_173744.jpg IMG_20200529_205625.jpg IMG_20200529_205632.jpg IMG_20200529_190230.jpg Screenshot_2020-06-26-15-28-40-619_com.android.browser.jpg IMG_20200529_225401.jpg IMG_20200529_175144.jpg IMG_20200529_125405_01.jpg
    IMG_20200712_132733.jpg IMG_20200712_132741.jpg IMG_20200712_132950.jpg IMG_20200712_132959.jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    jerVc, byoung93888, D.M.N. and 8 others like this.
  2. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    !!!
    ^_^
    :-O :-(

Good luck with the sale!

joshmmorrison and Komadinic like this.
  3. Komadinic

Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you! I see you're from Germany, are Rickenbacker's really expensive there? I heard they're unrealistically priced, then again i assume Ritter, Marleaux and brands like that are cheaper for you?

teh-slb likes this.
  4. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Looks like the guitar tech did a good job on the neck pickup route!
    I think you added some value there for sure!
    So let me be the first to ask-how much does it weigh?

byoung93888 and Komadinic like this.
  5. Komadinic

Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Thanks brother! He really did, he lowered action drastically and the neck won't move any longer. On my bathroom scale it's 9.4 lbs which seems about right. Would you say my asking price is fair? I tried to price it as realistically as i could based on the models i saw sold online..

woodyng2 likes this.
  6. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    It’s more than I would pay, but I’m a cheapskate with short pockets. ;)
    These have been in the $2500 range for quite a few years now,and the magnetic horseshoe by itself has been selling for $600 and up for quite a long time,too. The clownglo finish isn’t everyone’s favorite version of fireglo,but this is one of the better looking examples I’ve seen of that. Overall,the price is probably fair.
    All you need is a buyer! :thumbsup:
    GLWTS!

Komadinic likes this.
  7. Komadinic

Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    You taught me something new, i had no idea it's called clownglo, I'm not very familiar with Rick as a brand. Thanks for your opinion, i hope someone likes it and gets it cause it's just not getting the play time it deserves in my hands.

woodyng2 likes this.
  8. teh-slb

teh-slb

Sep 21, 2018
    Berlin
    Hi! Yup, I live in Berlin. New Rics command the expected prices but I haven't looked at the used market in years. I'm not certain what the situation is like there. As for other local brands, I've only ever gave Sandberg a go, as they make instruments that match my taste (four string FSOs). I'd say that they are (or were, the last time I checked) very reasonably priced.

Komadinic likes this.
  9. 9c1ny

9c1ny Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2008
    pretty cool bass, I was actually the guy who had the mapleglo's listed on Reverb (Get BC Rich or die trying is my user name)
    Both sold under $3k, that's the issue with Reverb there's no way to accurately search sold prices.
    If you decide to ship it (I'm on the other side of the country) let me know and maybe we can figure something out

PS Clown Glow is a color, it's a term for what some people find to be an unflattering hue of Fireglo

10. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    It’s more the halo effect of a red spray “ring” without a gradual fade to the body center.
    I have an’04 Laredo with that finish. Fortunately the big gold pickguard covers most of it. A6C00848-6307-448B-B59D-5AA377A56148.jpeg

byoung93888, Komadinic and 9c1ny like this.
  11. woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Clownglo isn’t an official color name......;):roflmao:

byoung93888 and Komadinic like this.
  12. Komadinic

Komadinic

Feb 28, 2018
    Kinda got that, i was just referring to the slang term you used and I'm unfamiliar with. I appreciate all your help with this bass, you've given me some useful advice in past as well :)

PS I'm probably weird and somewhat unorthodox but i kinda like the color. I assume it darkened over time and now it's not too bright nor dark in person.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
    woodyng2 likes this.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I had one of these. They are really nice basses. GLWTS.

Komadinic and woodyng2 like this.
  14. WalWarrior

WalWarrior

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    That bass is bad ass and I think it is way under priced for what it is. Where can you get a Rick V63 first year? Guitar Center? Don't sell this for anything less than what you would comfortably accept. GLWTS

mikewalker and Komadinic like this.
  15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021