Rickenbacker 4003/4001 - fingerstyle...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duckyincarnate, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience playing fingerstyle on the classic Rickenbacker basses. Do you have to remove the pickup guard? What do you use to rest your picking hand? Just curious.

2. I dont remove anything. And i float my hand...i dont rest it on anything.
  3. Rest on the pick up guard?

Cliff Burton used to rest his palm on the face or top edge of the bass.
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I removed the pickup cover on mine, and pluck right over the bridge pickup.
  5. Same here.

I really do not see why people find it difficult to do the same, but whatever does it for them.
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Same here too, at least when I used to be a Rickenbacker player.
  7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Lots of people remove the pickup cover. I wouldn't, because I rest my hand on it when I play Ricks or Fenders with pup covers. Anyway, points is, it's not at all necessary, but it's up to you.
  8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    When I play my Ricks finger style I anchor my thumb on the neck pickup. When I play pickstyle I rest my hand on the infamous pickup cover...
  9. Actually "when" I use my fingers on the 4003 (usually pick it - finger my Fenders) I put my thumb on the pickguard right in front of the pickup cover.........works like a charm!

However, I still prefer a pick with the 'ol Ric!!
  10. Oberion

Oberion Banned

Jun 22, 2008
    Pretty much what they said. I use the pickup cover as a reference. Sometimes I play from behind it, in front, anchored on the neck pickup from on top the cover, and you can get demon fast picking from on top also.

I'll keep my cover:eyebrow:
  11. hills1234

hills1234 Supporting Member

May 6, 2007
    Used my 4001 this past weekend subbing for a covers band - played a mix of fingers and pick depending on the songs ... bridge p/up cover removed, thumb resting on the top edge of the bridge p/up. Worked for me!
  12. Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    +1 on that. I used to keep the PU cover on but then decided it was more comfortable not to. I must say though, PU cover wise, it looks nicer with it. :)
  13. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    i rest my thumb on the E string while playing the others and on the body when i play on the E string...
    if i am playing a fiver i rest the thumb on the E string (fingerside) and on the B string (nailside) while playing ADG. On the B string when i play the E and on the body when i play the B

Dunno if is correct, but that's how i mute the strings i dont need to hear while playing
  14. By-Tor1000RR

Jul 17, 2008
    Stamford, CT
    I only play fingerstyle and I have the pickup cover removed. I anchor my thumb on the chrome surround on the treble pickup or the E string. The string spacing is close enough that you can easily and comfortably track the G string without moving your thumb from the chrome surround.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    most ric players remove the cover ...

Rics work good for fingerstyle ...

16. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I rest my hand right on the PUP cover. Uber comfy!