Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

rickenbacker 4003/4001?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkTelephone, Mar 13, 2005.

1. someone want to explain the difference to me, i've beening gasing over ricks for soo long now and i have finally made the decision to buy one once i get the rest of my money, but i have no idea what the difference is between a 4003 and the 4001 is. i have only been able to find 4001's on ebay. maybe there just older, whatever. i really want either one but i dont know which ones better, also how much do ricks weigh, i hear there heavy as hell but so people say there super light. i cant picture them being that heavey since there so thin but maybe. thanks

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Use the search function. This question is one of the most asked quesitons of all time.

Jeeebus.

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Simplified answer:The 4003 replaced the 4001. The 4003 has an updated truss rod system which handles higher tension strings.

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The newer 4003's have fatter necks, too.

5. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I was wondering about that. I had a 4001 back in the late 70's and I thought I remember it as having a narrow neck. I tried a new 4003 the other day at my local guitar shop and the neck was a lot wider than I remembered. When did they switch, and how narrow did they used to be? I'm really into the narrower Jazz-width necks (1.5" nut width) now. I've also been thinking about picking one up again, but it would have to be one of the older ones. I have to admit, I still think they are one of the coolest looking basses on stage.