1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker 4003/5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 27, 2006.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Does anyone know where I can find some information on this bass? I'm very interested in them, but I can't find anything about them. It seems like it'd be a perfect fit for me. Just a couple of weeks ago, I was playing a 4003, wishing it came in a 5 string version, and now I find out they make them. Have they been discontinued? If not, where could I find one, and what's the going price on one?

2. AB53211

AB53211

Apr 15, 2004
    Milwaukee,WI
    I believe they were discontinued several years ago. I heard the low B's wern't very good.

3. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Its 5 strings on a 4 string neck, not very comfortable.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yep, indeed discontinued several years back. They occasionally pop up on ebay but be prepared to pay a bit for them.

I've played one and I didn't really take to it. The neck was barely wider than a 4-string and it felt cramped. Might be fun to string one up with a high C string and blast away with a pick though.

5. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I had one 6 years ago. It developed finish problems within the first 4 months so I returned it for full credit and bought a StingRay 5.

They have extremely tight string spacing. Plus, RIC use a 115 guage string as the B. Almost every other manufacturer uses a 130 gauge.

TD

6. Rubbish B, absurd string spacing. A complete dog considering what a glory the 4-string is.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Unfortunately the 4003s/5 is no longer on the revamped Ric site.

Contrary to popular belief, they were not simply five strings thrown onto a four string neck. The width at the nut was actually wider than a Fender fiver. But they were rather tight at the bridge.