1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 and ECB80 Light Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jasper383, Jun 13, 2012.

1. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I love the sound of Rotos or Hi Beams on my 4003, but since that's a sound I don't have any use for live, the Ric wasn't getting any use except at home.

I put the ECB80 40-95 set of D'Addario Chromes on it a few days ago, and I must say it's a pairing that works really well. Tight, growly, and fat when you need it.

I have tried heavier flats, but haven't been very happy with them on the Ric. The lighter set seems to work better for some reason.

Gonna take the Ric to my next practice.

armybass likes this.
  2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Or let your rounds age a little and they sound a lot like flats ...

Lighter strings work well on most Ricks, but fatter strings have more bottom.

Also for a darker tone on the 4003 you can put in a hb-1 Rickenbacker humbucker pickup.

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I like dead rounds. I have dead rounds on my P Bass right now. But, dead rounds on my Ric wasn't doing it for me.

Dead rounds still go "purr", unless they are so dead they just go "tonk", then it's time to get rid of them. . Flats go "punch".

armybass likes this.