Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003 Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ACP, Dec 12, 2000.

1. ACP

ACP

Nov 30, 2000
    Has anyone tried one of these? What did you think?

2. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    Do I like it? Let me put it this way: you can't have mine. Seriously, though, Ric's are awesome, but they have a specific sound that some folks don't like. To get an idea of the sound, try listening to Seargant Pepper for one end of the spectrum and almost any pre-1980 recording by Yes or Rush for the other end. (McCartney, Squire and Rush all played Ric 4001's, but the sound is essentially the same as a 4003.)

Of course, make sure you try playing one before you buy it: you may love the sound but hate the feel (or vice versa).

3. Harry

Harry

Dec 12, 2000
    Ricks are odd basses - I STRONGLY suggest you play a few before you even consider buying. The necks are just... Different. Not bad - Different. They balance funny, the feel funny - but they really do have a "thing" - Another bass that fits that bill (to me, at least) is the Gibson T-Bird...

4. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Excellent quality for the money. Personally I love them. Of course, try one out first. If you are in the market for a new one, the best deal I found thus far is at http://www.edromanguitars.com He doesn't answer e-mail much because he rather talk to the customer personally

[Edited by jrock111 on 12-13-2000 at 04:46 PM]

5. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Excellent quality for the money. Personally I love them. Of course, try one out first. If you are in the market for a new one, the best deal I found thus far is at http://www.edromanguitars.com He doesn't answer e-mail much because he rather talk to the customer personally.

6. RickenbackeR

RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    Once you play a RIC you will never want to stop playing it.
    RICs are not only collection items.. they are works of art.. and the sound is like nothing you've ever heard before. Very, very snappy and bright... its the king of treble.

No other bass has the feel of a RIC either... lightning-fast neck... just awesome!

7. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    Check the Rickenbacker thread. Lots of information there.