1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Rickenbacker 4003 Bridge Pickup Low Output and It's Makes No Sense!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by guestOU812, Aug 13, 2016.

1. guestOU812

guestOU812 Inactive

Jul 30, 2011
    Hello,
    I am hoping you can lead me in the right direction. I have a Ric 4003 (single coil pups) and the bridge pickup's output is really low. I replaced the cap between the selector and volume pot, that did nothing. I then removed the cap entirely and replaced it with a straight wire and that didn't increase the volume in the pickup. I called Ric and they said, "weird! The bridge pickup should definitely have more volume than that of the neck pickup. Bring your bass to an authorized..." blah blah blah.

I guess my question is, how likely would it be that the volume pot is bad? Or is it more likely my pickup has soured and I should replace it?

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    I bought a used 4003s about a year ago ... the previous owner had swapped out and put back in several pickguards and pickups, bezel, thumbrests, etc. And had caused 2 or 3 wiring problems that were hard to track down. But eventually I fixed them all.

Possible problems ...

1 - a short in the pickup ... this means you need a new pickup ... bummer
    2 - a loose wire or a cold solder joint ... this means you resolder the connection and you are good.
    3 - bad pot or bad toggle. This means you replace the bad part as needed.

Look for number 2

3. guestOU812

guestOU812 Inactive

Jul 30, 2011
    Thank you Ric5!!! I'll look into #2.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021