Rickenbacker 4003 Chipped Finish Just Sitting In Rack

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JL9, Aug 16, 2022.

1. JL9

JL9

Dec 26, 2016
    Can't believe it. I have never taken this bass anywhere, and it's not all that old (though, of course, the warranty is apparently only one year on the finish, so I'm screwed). Picked it up last night and discovered two very noticeable chips in the paint where the bass rests on the rack.

Whaaaaaaat?

Attached Files:

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Good Lord, what type of rack and how long was it on there?

DJ Bebop, IngloriousOz, 6-3-2 and 6 others like this.
  3. OnTheDownLow

OnTheDownLow Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2020
    That's painful man, especially on an instrument that you would want to do your best to take care of.

I wonder how that even happened, the stand has a cushion or plush on the bottom right?

DJ Bebop, Justinian and Geogio like this.
  4. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

That sucks. At least black is an easy color to touch up.

jasper383, DJ Bebop, Ikkir and 6 others like this.
  5. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    That’s a chip for sure , and even if your warranty hadn’t expired , I’m pretty sure no manufacturer would cover that under warrantY.

31HZ, creaturegods, Justinian and 3 others like this.
  6. JL9

JL9

Dec 26, 2016
    The rack is just a typical rack with some sort of rubber to protect stuff on the bottom and back...holds 4 guitars.

I also have a Yamaha bass in the rack, and it is perfectly fine.

7. JL9

JL9

Dec 26, 2016
    Yeah, it's bizarre that it would chip off like that just sitting there. I'm stunned.

8. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Man, that finish at the 'chips' looks thinner than Skinner... especially on the left side as you look at it.

N4860 and rtav like this.
  9. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    it took a few hits

trickyric and Socobass like this.
  10. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    I’m pretty sure it didn’t just happen like that. Do you live by yourself ? Could you have impacted the bass against the other bass that you keep there ? Did you find the paint chips ?

trickyric, bignc, Socobass and 2 others like this.
  11. I used to use a 9 bass rack years ago and threw it into the garbage. For me, I prefer to keep my basses (especially the more valuable ones) in their cases. In the event I am playing out - I keep my bass in a "hangar" (I''m sorry don't see them very often) that hangs between my head and the cabinet. Granted, I believe that was made specifically for Ampeg heads and the 6X10 or the 8X10....but there you go.

Sorry to hear about your "chips". It would drive me crazy....Cheers

12. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    What year is the bass? There were several years when Ric had known issues with their finishes flaking and peeling. They fixed the issue going forward but, sadly, didn’t do much to help the people who had already bought the problem instruments.

I got my 4003 (I think it’s a 2011 model) for a great price because of this very issue. The finish was peeling off near the bridge.

woodyng2, PennyroyalWe and mattj1stc like this.
  13. JL9

JL9

Dec 26, 2016
    I promise you, the bass sits in the rack in my studio...I live just with my girlfriend who never goes in there.

Googling around, I see some people talking about the finish of Rickenbackers, and how they get gummy/tacky. Maybe this has something to do with it, though I hadn't noticed anything like that.

I bought this and a Jetglo 330 guitar a couple of years ago as a treat for myself, and I am always insanely careful with them, picking them up, etc, and never take them anywhere. All that in vain.

14. JL9

JL9

Dec 26, 2016
    I bought it new in 2019, but checking the serial number, it apparently was manufactured in 2015.

woodyng2 likes this.
  15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Yamaha has a much harder and thicker finish material than what Ric used.
    the foam on guitar stands can eat away at laquer used on old Fenders and Gibbys, and the varnish that Ric used can damage.
    Ric doesnt use the same paint material as any other modern instrument company.

So many reasons why I don't leave basses out on stands.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  16. JL9

JL9

Dec 26, 2016
    If it's the racks fault, I feel like I should sue them or something...though as I said, nothing else I have ever put in it has the paint chipped off.

17. You know, after thinking about it, I bought a used Ric way back in 1999 (or thereabouts). Midnight Blue. The finish was HORRIBLE. I got it for such a cheap price that I didn't care. This thing (I'm sure) left the factory like that. Sold it about 2 years later. Played well, however.

18. Simply a question here. Is it perhaps possible that the other owner had used a black sharpie on it and, over time, it merely wore off?

19. JL9

JL9

Dec 26, 2016
    I never even imagined....

Well at the very least, this is a lesson/warning for everyone including me.

rtav and Dust2Dust like this.