1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 copy/look-alike????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by M_J_P, Mar 28, 2009.

1. M_J_P

M_J_P

Mar 27, 2009
    I love the look of the Rickenbacker 4003's but stand no chance of ever being able to afford one, certainly not in this decade! Does anyone make a copy of the 4003?

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    RIC is aggressive in enforcing their trademark designs, so copies are much more scarce, but they're out there. Here's a link I found just doing a quick search, I know nothing about this manufacturer or product, just using it as an example:

http://www.saein.co.kr/2007/bass/rk2000nt.php

But, perhaps you'd be more interested in this one (no affiliation, just found it also while searching):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=509034

Anyway, good luck with your search. Don't give up on saving up for the real thing though if that's what you want. :)

3. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    I believe Indie makes some Rickenbacker copies. I played one once, but I didn't like it.

4. M_J_P

M_J_P

Mar 27, 2009
    Thanks for the link to Shine, just need to find a UK dealer that stocks this model now

5. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    You're welcome.

I am not familiar with the Shine brand, have you heard of them before? If you do get a chance to check out that bass I would be interested to learn your opinion of it.

I remember years ago (before the internet :rolleyes:) seeing an Aria version of a 4001 in a music store, and it looked really nice. Did not play it though.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    They mainly do the same stuff as Rondos higher Brice/Agile lines, I have a Shine 6er, great bass for the price.

Was always interested in their Ric' model, as it comes stock with the Seymore Duncan Ric pickups.

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Now that is interesting.....

8. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  9. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  10. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
  11. 02god55

02god55

Mar 28, 2009
    adam
  12. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    And is also untrue. RIC makes all their own pickups.

13. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Yes they do, BUT Seymore Duncan AND Bartiloni make AFTERMARKET Rickenbacker pickups.

The Seymore Duncan variety, are stock in the Shine Ric copy.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    The best way to do a Ric copy is to get someone to make a Ric style body and then get a neck with a paddle shaped headstock. If you can assemble a few parts and do a little wood working then it would be quite easy to make a Ric copy for 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a Ric.

15. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I hear ya, but read the quote below....

That was what I said was interesting. A copy used an aftermarket Ric pickup....instead of dumping in something sort of like a Ric pickup, or whatever they had lying around, they put in the closest thing to a Genuine Ric pickup....

Personally, I cannot see myself buying a Ric copy, at least not till after I have my real Ricky...

Maybe I am a hypocrite as 4 of my 5 basses are Fender copies, but that is just the way I feel.

16. M_J_P

M_J_P

Mar 27, 2009
    ha ha Rockinbetter, very goood!!

thanks for the links guys much appreciated :)

17. ibanez made one in the 70's.it was one of the lawsuit copies.
    they appearently are exactly like real ones,no wonder..
    i don't know if you'd have much luck finding one.but they are the only other copy i knew of.

18. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Sorry, my bad, I miss read that :bag:

19. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Oh I would definately rock a Ric inspired tribute bass (fancy talk for "copy") if it had decent quality and a good sound. :bassist:

To me the fact that clones are so rare would make it that much more fun.

Anyway, I'm putting out some inquiries for the Shine version, not sure how easy it will be to get stateside but hopefully I'll find out.

20. There are Hondo Ric copies which will occasionally pop up used. See below... Peter Hook from Joy Division playing one in the late 70's.

Peter allegedly smashed his over someone's head in 1979. He claims the bass was awful too but in his case, there is a good chance it was user error!

220px-hook2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzTw4PYfROU