1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 Fl or not FL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drmckool, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Fretted

31 vote(s)
    77.5%
  2. Fretless

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    hi i'm looking to get my 3rd bass and it will be a Rickenbacker 4003 but i'm wondering if i should hold out untill i find a fretless version of this or not. the fretless sound is intriguing to me and i already have an amazing fretted bass (warwick thumb-bo). however, i'm getting it to get that solid rock tone and mabye something geddy lee like. i'm just looking for some opinions and a few stories if possible

2. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I been searching for a 4003FL for a few months now and they are hard to find. Even the regular 4003 is hard to find these days with the demand that there is for ricks.

As far as what you want, the FL is very unique. I say if you know that what you want is a ric and already have 2 fretted basses, go for the FL.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    The only time I tried a fretless RIC, I had a strange sensation, just as if there was some kind of "inconsistency" between the natural RIC tone and its application on a fretless. But maybe I'm biased, having "stuck" my approach to RICs to Chris Squire, Geddy Lee and Paul McCartney.

So I voted fretted.

4. I have played a fretless Ric and thought it was OK, but did not care for the dot inlays on the neck. For what you are wanting to do with the rock tone... I would go fretted. If you are wanting a killer fretless I would look to Pedulla.

5. bassplayer45

bassplayer45

Jun 2, 2007
    i would never play a frettless ric go with the fretted

6. Someone showed me a video of a woman playing Donna Lee on a fretless ric.

ah, found it : http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOnpwbg3APw

That is a 4002, but I think it has a great fretless tone. It depends on what you think you can use more. But if you buy one, you're going to want the other anyway. I just bought my fretted ric the other day. Already I'm thinking about how one day I'd like to sell my carvin FL and buy a Ric FL instead.

7. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    well the thing is i slap everything but because i have my warwick and rics naturally aren't the best for slap it'll be only fingerstyle on that. but i am looking for both the rocky tone if i can get it but also something different than my warwick or crappy p-bass

8. Says who?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOnpwbg3APw

You just have to take the pickup cover off (And even that isnt necessary)

9. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    i mean you can do it, hell i've done it i skapped a 4001 but i just meant i'm not looking for a slap bass

10. Oh, I'm not saying you are. I personally dont slap. Ever. But I do like it in certain circumstances (Mike Gordon from Phish is a good example of what I mean). Just wanted to make sure nobody was going to write it off as a bass you cant slap.

11. bill law

bill law

Jan 20, 2007
    Fargo ND
    check out the work of Chris Brubeck (son of Dave Brubeck)-great upright-y kind of sound from a RIC fretless-they are really unique and wonderful sounding instruments-you know...the instrument is just a tool for the player-it doesn't define you!

12. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    touche

13. Laredo

Laredo

Nov 27, 2005
    Upstate, NY
    I have a fretted 4003 and love the cool Ric vibe. I would consider getting one in fretless, but I would still want the fretted version. I would recommend getting the fretted one to see if you like it, because it would be an easy re-sale. Then if you want to ad a bass later on you could get a fretless 4003.

14. drmckool

drmckool

Jun 15, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    i know i like it becasue i've played a ric before, though it was a 4001 it was awsome. second bass bass i've played (i still love my warwick too much)

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021