Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003 Fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Dec 23, 2004.

1. OK, I did a search and couldn't find the answer to my question. I have a 1997 Rickenbacker 4003 and I was wondering if I should occasionally apply some lemon oil to the fretboard since it is made out of rosewood. However, someone told me once that the Rickenbacker rosewood fretboards are coated in something so they won't dry out and that putting the lemon oil on would do nothing. So if someone could please straighten me out on this it would be greatly appreciative.

2. I'm no Rick expert, but every 4003 I have seen looked like it had a coated fretboard.

I wouldn't use lemon oil anyways. It dries out the wood.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Not all lemon oil dries out the wood. There are kinds that dont have the drying agent in it.

4. Can anyone verify that the Ric's have coated boards?

Also, what is the drying agent to look out for? I planned on using Old English Lemon Oil.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes they have coated boards.

Idk the drying agent.

6. OK, thanks you two, it's a non-issue on the drying agent now since they have coated boards.

7. Ricks have coated fretboards. They don't dry out, and there's no need for lemon oil or anything else unless you just want to make it look shiny, but none of that will have any impact on the wood itself.

(Caveat -- I've owned at least one Rick without a coated fretboard, but it was an older oner that had had the finish removed from the board when it had been refretted.)

Mike

8. So, I could use the lemon oil on the neck... would this help in cleaning it or is there something else i should use for general cleaning of the neck?

9. Lemon oil or any regular guitar polish should help with cleaning and gunk removal.

Mike