1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker 4003 in drop C tuning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IngloriousOz, Jan 3, 2012.

1. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Wanting to have this new Ric setup for CGCF tuning, has anyone done this and avoided a muddy tone? If so what strings did you use?

Thanks!!

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Heavy as possible. I used a RIC in C# tuning and it was ok in the mix, but sounded like farts solo. I had EBMM mediums on it though.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Try light guage 5 string set and simply don't use the G.

4. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Good idea. I have tuned a 5er up from B to C# in the past and had no issues and didn't require any neck adjustment after.

5. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Order a custom set from Circle K.

6. I highly recommend doing this.

7. I play a Ric with CGDA tuning, using individual strings from JustStrings.com with the following gauges: .030, .065, .090, .125. I had to get the nut slot widened a little for the C string. I get a pretty consistent tone and volume across these strings, much more so than when I just detuned an E string down to a C.

8. IngloriousOz

IngloriousOz Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Hmmmm more info on Circle K please? I had a horrible experience ordering a custom set of strings from that crazy fella over at ZOG/Zachary strings...wasn't hugely impressed with the product either...looking to avoid any expensive ordeal.

I was hoping to maybe get away with it using a set of heavy EBs with a 110 perhaps? This bass is too damn nice I haven't even played it yet its been sitting in its case for a week untouched! I'm terrified of widening or changing out the nut!

Thanks for the responses so far!

9. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    if you haven't already, check out www.bassstringonline.com
    it's run by a member here on TB and you can build your own sets.

10. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Al Cisneros of Sleep, Om, Shrinebuilder fame tunes to something like C, and doesn't seem to have a problem.

I'd use C standard rather than drop, but should be no problem with the right gauge of strings. Ric5 has a good suggestion, just use light gauge 5 string sets and don't bother with the high one.

11. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Circle K Strings - Circle K Strings

They offer string sets in a huge variety of gauges from super light to super heavy, multiple scale lengths, and different tension schemes. Their FAQ is pretty good at explaining what the differences are between Traditional and Balanced tension sets, but they basically allow you to customize the tension-feel of your strings. They even offer sets specifically for drop tunings, where the lowest string is heavier to compensate for the lower tuning relative to the other three strings.

I ordered a set of fairly heavy strings for C standard tuning when I got my RD Artist. They shipped promptly, set up perfectly, and sound good. My only gripe was over the absurdly high shipping charge to Canada. I don't really think that's an issue though if you're ordering within the US.

I used to use 55-110 strings in drop C back in the day, but these days that would be way too floppy for me. Plus a Ric has a slightly shorter scale than average too, so that'd just compound the problem.

Take a look over the Circle K website and their writings on string tensions and whatnot. You should be able to find whatever you're looking for there.