Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Flees, Jan 29, 2003.

1. I was thinking about purchasing a Rickenbacker 4003 Jetglo Bass in the near future. My questions are: is it good for slapping and popping?, is it tough/durable?, how well does the fingerboard hold up? If you could answer one of these questions or just let me know what you think about this bass, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your info.

2. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I own a '01 4003 JetGlo I purchased new in July of '01.
    Excellent instrument!
    Most say it's not good for slapping' but it can be done.
    Tough/durable? Absolutely!!
  3. Mine's midnight blue. Can I reply anyway?

It actually sounds quite nice when slapped, but slapping is a pain in the ass on it. As a rule, if I'm going to slap, I get out the Jazz bass.
    Why is it that slapping is such a pain on a Rick, anyway? I'm sitting here looking at the distance between the strings, and it seems the same. The action on my Rick is a little high, but that shouldn't make the difference.

What is it about Ricks?
  4. "SLAPPING" ????

the 4000-series, having been designed back in 1957, are not quite so tolerant of these new-fangled playing techniques. It wasnt until the early 60's that bass guitars began to develop more liberal leanings
  5. Fender JAzz Basses were also created in the 1950's, and work great for slapping. I was curious if Rickenbackers were similar.