Rickenbacker 4003 - mail order?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kink Rimson, Mar 11, 2006.

1. I'm gettin me a Rick 4003 in the (hopefully) near future, and they seem to be a hell of a lot cheaper on some internet sites than in the shops.
    I know it's best to try them first,but I've heard such good things about Rickenbacker's high standards, do you think itwould be safe to buy online? Am I likely to get a dud?:help:

I have tried these basses before so I know what they are like...
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  3. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I wouldn't see a problem as they are high qaulity basses. I have one (for sale) but beware because some sites do NOT allow returns on Ric's and some only allow 5 days to send them back. Once you click buy it is pretty much yours.
  4. I think that if you're going to go that route buying a bass, you're good to pick a good brand like that. I did the same thing a while back on Ebay; first time I ever did a buy that large! It was a real effort to press that button to "buy", but it was a Warwick, and I'd tried them in stores and really felt comfortable with the company and it's product. That's what counts in this case. I've got a Rick and I think that unless there's something REALLY wrong with the body, or the neck, you'll do fine. Get the price you want and go for it. Rick's are a good quality instrument if they haven't been abused at some point. (Something to check out before you buy it.)

Good luck!;)
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    +1 on the Music Connection/Mike Parks. Haven't ordered an instrument from him, but I've ordered some parts which were shipped promptly. If I'm ever in the market for another Ricky I'll consider him first.
  6. Very nice sites there but are they both US sites? No good to me if so, what I save on the bass I'd lose on shipping and import tax!:spit:
    But thanks for the suggestions anyway. I've found a couple of places in London that are very reasonably priced, i.e. under a grand! I'll check them out...