1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 or Aria SB-1000? (Or maybe Black n' Gold)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Conlan, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Conlan

Conlan Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2020
    I'm having a ton of trouble deciding between these two basses, which one should I go for? I really like both of their tones, and they're both at the tippy top of my price range. The Ricks seem like they are pretty temperamental, but what about Aria's?

telecopy likes this.
  2. I have both and love both. A 4003S and a SB R60. Previously had a BnG II that I regret getting rid of every day. If I absolutely had to go with just one it would be the Aria. Just easier to play for longer periods of time and a bit more versatile a tone. Easier to work on and adjust, too. Just my two.

johnnynitro, Pauly 4001 and Conlan like this.
  3. Conlan

Conlan Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2020
    Yeah I'm really struggling to make up my mind, but I'm leaning towards the Aria. Or I could buy an lawsuit Aria-made Rick haha

Riff Ranger and Gluvhand like this.
  4. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    I had an Aria for a while, but it was one of those basses of mine that quickly got stolen so I didn't have it for too long. Mine was the 2 pickup model not the single; I got it in a pawn shop for $300 or something in the 90's. Weighed a ton but was just astoundingly well made and even had radiused faces on the pickups. It kind of had a blah tone for some reason, something might have been wrong with mine because it was really thuddy sounding. But I've heard other versions of my bass that sounded great, so....

As for the Rick, I've owned several of em and I gigged with the Rick 4001/3's for a number of years.

Personally, I'd go with the Rick since it's more of a known quantity in terms of what you'll be dealing with as far as tone, and you can get them new so you're not risking a vintage instrument like the Aria. The Rick you can drag to the gig knowing it's not a one of a kind that's just gone irreplacably if it gets stolen or destroyed.

But those Arias are true classics and total sleepers, way ahead of their times....

L

bobyoung53 likes this.
  5. Conlan

Conlan Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2020
    How was gigging with the Rick? I’ve heard they’re really temperamental and suck do any maintenance to. Also have heard the opposite. And yeah I’m hoping that the Aria I get isn’t a dud, that’d be really unfortunate.

6. Shlabotnik

Shlabotnik Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2019
    NH
    I kind of want an SB-1000 as well... and I do have a Ric.
    I do love the Ric... gotta throw that in there. It's an 'S' model and so is super comfy to gig with and has a killer tone. I can't play the non-'S' models... too awkward. You're probably gonna want both so the question is really... which one do you get *first*? :)

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Conlan

Conlan Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2020
    That’s pretty much how I feel haha. Somewhere local is supposed to get a black n gold in stock soon and i kinda want to snag it because it’s a tad cheaper then all the Ricks I’ve seen online recently.

Shlabotnik likes this.
  8. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    An Aria RSB Deluxe B&G has been my main bass since 1985. I went in to the store planning on buying a Ric. I came out with an Aria. It still is the most comfortable bass I have ever played. It is more versatile also. I love the look of a Ric but would never give up my Aria for one.

Jim Burkland, telecopy and Conlan like this.
  9. Conlan

Conlan Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2020
    Hows the quality and tone of the RSB? If they are similar ish to the SB1000’s I might get one of them instead and just spend money on a better amp.

RSBBass likes this.

10. 4001's which haven't been made since about 1985 (or available new anway) can be a bit temperamental but the new ones are solid as a rock and keep their resale value. To me they're as essential as having a Fender.

11. I bought an Aria SB1000 new in 1979.
    I chose it over a Rickenbacker, back then.
    The neck was better and so were the electronics. But, that was then.

Since they are making new versions of both those - try playing both, and see which suits YOU best.

BrentSimons, RSBBass and telecopy like this.
  12. Conlan

Conlan Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2020
    Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of trying out either before playing no store around me carries Ricks or Arias in store, so I’d have to buy one and pick up it in store and just refund it if I don’t like it.

13. Then, I would choose a NEW Aria because of the neck.
    SB-1000B – Aria Guitars

BrentSimons, Qlanq and mikewalker like this.
  14. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    Anything, but Ric.
    Aria is something like Yamaha. Steady quality.
    It might not smell, But, does not stink either.

BrentSimons likes this.
  15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Ric without hesitation

9c1ny, BrentSimons, FritzM and 3 others like this.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Me also. Some say RICS are not versatile but I disagree. The fact it has two pickups (each with volume and tone) helps. The Aria has only one so it's just variations of that pickup. The switch on it is kinda cool but it's just an alternative for a 3 band EQ, IMO.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. I have Nothing against a Rickenbacker, but the switch on the Aria is much more than just a replacement for EQ.

telecopy likes this.
  18. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Not really. It's just different EQ settings by moving the multi-position knob. I just watched a video and that's what it does.

19. How's this, both played on a Ric, listen to the range of tones you can get out of one and anywhere in between:

20. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    Find a neck through Westone Thunder II or III. Super cool, Same factory and same quality as an Aria SB.
    Less money since no one really famous played them.

RSBBass and Conlan like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021