Rickenbacker 4003 or MusicMan Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by corrosiontrav, Mar 16, 2006.

1. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    Which would you pick and why?
  2. No brainer - Rickenbacker, because of sound and feel. I'm biased, though. I've played a Ric for 28 years and never took to the MM feel.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im equally as biased towards the Stingray...

What tone are you going for?
  4. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Both are delicious, but I personally prefer the Rick. It's all about your preference, though.
  5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  6. You want a cranky old-school tone, or a refined modern one?

Both have bucketloads of growl.

I like the Ric more than the Stingray, but I also wouldn't mind owning a 'Ray someday...you really need to play both instruments to see which one feels and sounds right..

Noone here can do that for you...and they are both excellent instruments.
  7. corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I play in an orignal rock band, well more southern rock, think Drive By Truckers meets Down and Soundgarden.

Anywho, I play a Mesa 400+ with Ampeg 412HE's. My main bass is an EBMM Bongo that I love, and I was thinking of getting a second Bongo, but I've always loved Stingrays, and I've always loved the tone of Ricks.
  8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    I play a Stingray because it's what spoke to me when I tried out a bunch of basses in a few shops. But I know people who've done the same and walked out with a Ric.

Here ends the lesson.
  9. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    I'm a Ric kind of a guy. However, comparing the two is like comparing an airplane to submarine, just too different of beasts. I dig them both though.
  10. stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    I have a Rick 4000 that I got at 16 and was my main bass for many years. I play a Stingray 5 as my main bass now. The Rick has a great (but unique) neck, and a singing, growling tone w/ lots of mids. The Ray has more bottom.

11. Newer 4003's have waay more bottom than an old 4000 series.
  12. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    the ric has a much more "controversial" shape. But i think you should play both.

personally i would have a ric because i love the shape.
  13. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Wow, talk about comparing apples and oranges. You can't really compare those two basses since they have COMPLETELY different... well... everything! Other than having four strings and pluggin into an amp, those two basses have nothing in common; pretty much everyhting else is different. They share almost NO since ground at all.

That said, I, personaly would go with a Rick, but thats ME.

~Paul :)

Editied so I could actually spell my own name correctly!
  14. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    What he said...

15. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    To slap or not to slap, if so the Ray, If not look at a Ric and at least give it a chance. I love my Ric because the build, tone, playability and the sustain still blows me away. both are fine instruments . both are different.
  16. xring

Sep 16, 2003
    To my eyes, the Ric is the more attractive of the two by far. But alone, that's a not a good reason to buy it, obviously. The Ric is less of a do it all bass, though there might (I said might) be better choices for a do it all basses.
    Before anyone rags on that comment, I've had 3 Rics, and so far 1 Ray.
    They really are apples and oranges.
  17. So you dig airplanes and submarines both? Right on, man!

But yeah, I'd definately get both. Before I played bass, I always thought that Stingrays were like the ultimate bass. That being based off their price in Musician's Friend's catalouge. Now I have GAS for a RIC, but still they're both awesome basses. While I like the shape of the RIC, the Stingray has WAY more customisation to it.
  18. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I love Ricks, basically because it comes down to the tone I'm after. A somewhat raw & unrefined, loud and punchy single coil passive tone.

I don't think you can go wrong with either bass though. And as far as construction and quality go, Ernie Ball and Rickenbacker probably both make the highest quality production instruments out there.
  19. Id go the ray, love the looks, greatest tone that works with just about everything, awesomely well made.

Never been a big Ric fan either.