Rickenbacker 4003 pickup cover

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluebyrd, Jun 7, 2003.

1. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the cover on the lower pickup on a Rickenbacker 4003 bass? Thanks.
  2. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    If it's anything like my 4001, take it to somebody that knows what they're doing. I don't tinker with electronics and I tend to be overly cautious with my basses, though. I thought it would be easy enough, but the pickup and cover are essentially one unit, with wiring attached to and passing through the underside of the cover/pup. I left it alone, put it back in the bass and will take it to a qualified tech when I find one.
  3. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  4. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Ok, thanks for the diagram, and the info. Maybe I'll take it to the music store and have them look at it, it seems a bit complicated.

Thanks again.
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's really not that bad to do. Let me know if you want to sell your cover - the dealers want as much to ship one as it costs!
  6. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Well, it looks like it's just a matter of removing the two big screws and that one wire, then the cover. Or do you have to remove the other part of the cover also? The big part that's actually in contact with the body. I have the newer style pickup, not the vintage.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It's just the two screws - the surround stays. However, notice what order the various parts fit on the screws - (from memory) there's a spring and a washer on each, plus a grounding wire. The screws that retain the cover also retain and adjust the pickup height. If your string balance is good now, take measurements on a piece of paper at the E and G so you can get it back the same way. (My 4001 has the washers, but I've been told others do not.)

It's about a five minute job - no biggie. Just have a proper screwdriver, good light and a flat surface to work on.
  8. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How do you remove the one on the horseshue pickup? I´ve read that it´s possible on the reissue pup but not on the originals as the cover is a part of the pickup.
  9. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
  10. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    Well, I got the cover off. It's not nearly as difficult as it looks. I loosened the strings, then took both screws out, almost at the same time to prevent excess tilting on either side. Then I had to take the other plate off also, the one that comes into contact with the body of the bass. After that it came off easily. Reassembly was easy also, but if you do this, make sure the springs are straight up and down and that the ground wire it where it should be. It gets connected to the screw that is on the knob side of the bass. A very easy procedure, and even double checking everything, it only took about ten minutes. thanks for the help everyone!

I really love this new Ric! Worth every penny. A dream come true after wanting one for about 30 years. Sweet!
  11. that link doesnt work anymore, and i have the same question...
  12. mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
  13. kasimsultonfan

Sep 14, 2008
    Woah there !! took one look at that diagram....man !! lazy ?? that looks insane , washers would disappear behind my fridge , little springs would bounce off into a corner never to be seen again....Why do the Rickenbacker dudes do this ?? that goddam horseshoe is right over the sweet spot . spoils an otherwise perfect instrument..mine's goin to the local shop for a competent person to remoe...
  14. KPAX

KPAX Banned

Mar 22, 2005
    Remove the strings.
    Remove the 4 tiny screws that hold the entire pickup assembly.
    Lift the assembly out enough to look at it (careful with the wire).
    Look at it.
    It will be obvious.
  15. MikeyB

Aug 16, 2006
    Sykesville, MD
    The plate that surrounds the bridge pickup has exposed sharp edges after you remove the cover. You could file them down, but I chose to install a Pickguardian cover:

I made sure to keep all the orig parts just in case I ever want to return it to stock... sell it... etc.

16. Notowen

Jan 27, 2010