Rickenbacker 4003 Price Hike

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jk3, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jk3

jk3

Jul 25, 2007
    Chicago
    not sure if this has been talked about (couldnt find anything) but, the price of a 4003 went up to $1,950 at mf. a month ago it was $1,599.

i guess it was inevitable, but thats a big jump.:meh:

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    This sucks!

3. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Love having an investment :]

4. rkatapt

rkatapt

Jun 7, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    me too, that's good news to my ears

5. Blackmag+c

Blackmag+c

Feb 1, 2007
    think yourself lucky in the UK they are the equivalent of about $2,100 for as long as i have been playing bass (3-4 years).

6. Not too long ago street price on these was about $1000 and there were few-to-zero instruments I'd rather own at that price point. Assuming a $1500 street price for the new ones, and the market of available quality basses opens up quite a bit.

They've got every right to charge what the market will bear and, as I understand it, they've got a backlog that would make any manufacturer proud. I've got no doubt these basses are worth the money. I played a 4001 for 10 years. They are just not worth it to me.

Good news for you collectors, though, eh?

Mike

7. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have always loved Rics and have owned a crapload of 'em and had thought they were a steal at new prices for the quality. Now, I sorta hate to say it, but while they are certainly worth the money for what you get I don't believe they are any longer in a "class by themselves" at their price point. They are now priced at the same or near same price as like-quality basses so I think it may hurt their sales and following in the long run somewhat.

I wish the company the best and realize that in today's work/business environment there are tough choices to make.....especially if you don't want to sacrifice quality and maintain a USA base. On the plus side the price hike will likely help their backlog. :bassist:

8. Geddyfleaharris

Geddyfleaharris Supporting Member

I think it will take awhile for Ric to take care of their backlog. They are just so far behind. The biggest dealer of Ric's in Canada (a chain with stores right across the country) hasn't had a new Ric since last summer. That is one reason why I ordered a new 4003 from MF. Just beat the price increase.

As to the price increase.... I think Ric watches Ebay like everyone else and saw what used Rics were going for. It was time to cash in a bit. As I said in the "Ric Club Thread" I could not understand why people were paying $1800+ for "unplayed" 2007 Jetglo 4003s when you could just order one from MF for $1600. Must be Ebaymania or something. :meh:

9. John Deacon

John Deacon

Aug 24, 2007
    Virginia
    IMO, and after listening to recordings, I just don't think that they are worth the money. It's like Gibson. Their finished are nitro, not poly, and yet are held in high regard.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I like em, but not at the same price as a Sadowsky Metro.
    It was only 2-3 years ago that 4003 were available from online retailers for $999. An almost 100 percent increase in a few years is unbelievable. I can't imagine Ric's manufacturing costs have increased that much. Every company is entitled to make a profit, but it seems to me that's excessive. How much would Fender be blasted here if they decided a MIA Jazz should suddenly sell for $2000?

11. jambassist

jambassist

Sep 1, 2002
    Easton, PA
    in the february 2002 issue of bass player, there was a tour of the factory and interview with fred hall. they're a small company with no interest in getting much bigger. he also stated he has no interest in producing a less expensive line off shore nor does he job anything out to mexico to skirt california environmental laws. production costs, overhead, etc. are always going up so i suppose a price increase is justified. i don't think there's been one recently, but perhaps someone else can confirm that.

i look at it this way. they make what they make when they make it and there's a pair of hands waiting for every instrument they produce. is the instrument worth it? that's for each individual to decide. as long as the level of quality remains the same, they're likely to continue to sell everything they can produce.

12. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    That was less than 2 years ago. I was quoted $1,090.00 by MF in 2005. I could have bought a brand new JetGlo 4003 in July of last year from Rockets in Brea, Ca for $1,200.00 out the door. I'm kicking myself for not doing it:scowl:

13. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    John Hall is the CEO and he has a son, Ben, that is production manager IIRC.

The "relics" and "custom shop" Fenders prices are wacky and they should be routinely bashed for it (IMO). Are MIA Fenders USA made or just assembled in the USA? (just asking since I don't know.....but that could be a difference as well). IMO USA Fenders were never in the league of Rics.....too hit and miss on QC as well. The Ric price increase just makes it a more "you get what you pay for" situation.

I'm not Fender bashing and I'm not a Ric "fanboy". If a Fender is preferred and a Ric doesn't float your boat then a Ric certainly seems overpriced. I'm just offering another perspective and, IMO, a more apples to apples comparison. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

14. Confirmed.

srx: I'll do ya one better. While working out of town this past summer, I was making a good bit over my usual salary and had a bit of extra cash. I checked the craigslist local to my house regularily. A 1980's 4003 in what appeared to excellent condition with the now-discontinued black trim came up for $700. I emailed him immediately.

He emailed back that afternoon and said that he had a waiting list 10 people deep and I was first in line. It was mine if I could meet him within 24 hours, otherwise the next guy got a shot. I was 6 hours away with NO ONE that could meet the guy and verify condition and no way I could get there due to work requirements. I had to pass.

In other news: Rickenbackers are fine instruments and nothing sounds like them...BUT there are quite a few instruments of similar quality available in their new price bracket. As someone mentioned earlier, they used to be in a league of their own. I don't think that's the case anymore.

To each his own, however. Every one made will find a home.

Mike

15. fron the ric website:

As of today, the Rickenbacker product range has been adjusted in an attempt to allow further production increases to offset the growing, large order backlog.

Specifically:

- Pickup and vibrato options have been eliminated.

- Three pickup guitars have been dropped, except for vintage type and other select models.

- The model 350/12V63 has cycled out of the V Series as part of regular rotation within that range.

- Fretless basses have been placed on hiatus.

- The models 650S and 650D have been cut due to elimination of the oil finish process and in anticipation of updated models.

Effective today is a new price list which includes a significant increase. This directly reflects higher costs for oil-based products (such as the finish and plastic goods), steel parts, and imported components adversely affected by exchange rates (such as keywinds).

The price increase is also intended to help create a better balance between demand and capacity, ultimately allowing for faster deliveries, dealer store inventory, new designs, and current product enhancements.

16. flakeh

flakeh Inactive

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Errr....IIRC, the cost of steel goods is steady if not declining...I know this becuase the school shop bought 3 metric tons of steel and steel parts for less then 1000$. Last year the same amount from the same supplier was 1200$....And the US dollar is on the rise again....

Just saying is all.

IMO, they can't compete with the demand. And instead of enlarging their business, they decide to jack up the price to hopefully combat the demand. Bad sales pitch IMHO

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I think the dollar is gone up 50% in the last couple of months!

18. When I bought a Rickenbacker a few years back, it was $1100. I got rid of it because the feel simply was not for me. I know Rickenbacker is very protective of their instruments, but FFS, if you are going to charge $2000 now for an instrument, SHIELD IT. Gigging my 4003 was a nightmare because of the hum.

Before I am assailed by, "get xxx pedal" or "shield it yourself!" comments, I have had instruments made in Indonesia for about $300 that came shielded and had less noise than my old 4003.

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Well, looks like that should get the demand under control.

I know I just lost my desire for a 4003, and I had been stashing away some money for one too.

Lools like this former Rickenbacker player(guitar) won't be a repeat of future customer.

20. $1,599. to $1,950 is nowhere near a 50% price increase, more like 22.5 %. They have been under priced for a long time now, have been a bargain. When you see a Ric you KNOW it's made in USA and there is no cheap copy that looks almost identical out there.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021