1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 Price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by christopantz, Feb 5, 2016.

1. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Hi, I'm looking into buying a Rickenbacker 4003 sometime soon, and am wondering what price is considered "low" enough to just pull the trigger. I'm in no hurry to get one, so I can wait around for a deal, I just want to make sure I know I'm getting a hell of a deal. Are we talking anything under $1000? Higher? Lower? Let me know
    PS. I get the whole "something is worth whatever you pay for it" argument, but I really just want to know what you guys think would be a good "pull the trigger already, dumbass" price. Thanks!

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    New $1600. Used $1300. Messed up $1000.

JMacBass65, bujubonton, TMARK and 4 others like this.
  3. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    I'm thinking I wanna buy used but in good condition. Would you say those same prices for a 4001?

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    No, I think you'll find a different range for the 4001. Mint will be higher due to being vintage. Messed up might go lower (or not) depending on how optimistic so the seller is.

The 4003 is a better bass IMO.

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    New at Musiciansfriend when they're offering 20% off, $1448. For a Jetglo. 20% is hard to come by though, 15% offered most holidays. That comes out to$1530.

I bought mine new because I wanted the warranty and returnability if anything was wrong.

There was nothing wrong.

I can't stop raving about my Ric.

6. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Good deal! I'm optimistic that I'll be able to get one used for around $1000-$1100 someday, whether it's on craigslist, ebay, reverb, or the classifieds here. I'm a student working my ass off in a minimum wage job so I really need to find a good deal if I buy one.

7. I bought a slightly worn mid 2000's mapleglo with a original but beat case for $1000 off craigslist. Once upon a time like 5 years ago I got a worn mapleglo 1991 or so 4003 for $900 off craigslist with a amp I sold for $150, so $750 for the bass. So it is possible to net one for $1000 or under $1000, not easy but it can happen. Lots of us got new ones in 2011 for $1100 or so, I bought one then for $1080, there was a huge thread on this. The deal occurred through musiciansfriend.

EagleMoon and christopantz like this.
  8. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    The odds are good enough for me! Thanks!

9. SkulliesBass

SkulliesBass Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    I bought a Jetglo 4003S from Musicians Friend last month. I paid $1271 with the 20% off coupon, regular price was $1589. Great bass, great price.

christopantz and 1stnamebassist like this.
  10. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    Wow!

11. The 4003s is a bit cheaper but you give up the neck and body binding and the stereo option. I like it better
    because it has body contours instead of that binding digging into your forearm. I got mine new from GC
    with a 15% off coupon for 1351.00 tax included. Finding a good used one for under 1000.00 may be doable
    but I would be careful and suspicious. Even used ones retain their value. You would be better served with
    a newer 4003. The quality in the last few years has been quite good.
    Now the next question is have you played a Rick? Most everyone likes the looks and sound of a Rick, but
    a lot of folks don't get along well with playing them. At least if you buy new from a major chain they
    would more than likely have a 30 day or more return policy if you decide its not your thing. If you buy used and its a lemon with issues your stuck and probably out a big chunk of change. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

hintz likes this.
  12. christopantz

christopantz

Sep 16, 2015
    I love the feel of ricks. I'm about an hour from Chicago Music Exchange, and as soon as I picked one up, I fell in love with the feel and the sound.

1stnamebassist and SkulliesBass like this.
  13. SkulliesBass

SkulliesBass Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2006
    Long Island N.Y.
    I'd rather buy a bass from a dealer that will open the case and set it up before shipping. I just couldn't resist the price from MF. I've been playing Ricks since the early 90's so I was pretty confident I could set one up to my liking. But, I have to say this one was set up perfect right out of the box. All I did was remove the bridge pickup cover and install a set of D'Addario Chromes.

christopantz likes this.
  14. That's how my 4003s came from GC. I always adjust things to get it perfect for me, but the setup was close enough to play right out of the box. The 4003 I bought from MF in 2010 was pretty close but the saddles had to
    be replaced later because they weren't seating in the bridge properly. I called Rickenbacker and they told me I could send it in or they could send me the saddles. I had them send the saddles and I filed them and replaced them with no issues. I recommend the OP learn how to set up his own Rick when he gets it, and save some money. Its not difficult. In fact he should check out joeysbassnotes,com. Great site to not only learn to do setups and maintain his instrument, but it has information about buying used instruments also.

SkulliesBass likes this.
  15. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The 4003s does not have the shark fin fret marker inlays either. I have one of each.

1stnamebassist likes this.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    Search ebay for a good deal ... and also look at 4004s ... I only buy 1986 and later Rickenbackers ...

17. Yeah, I forgot!

18. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat.

Jul 10, 2013
    I bought a brand new 2015 one for $1549. Just got here today

grimmchaos and 1stnamebassist like this.
  19. newyorkiddo

newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat.

Jul 10, 2013
    Oops, forgot to mention, it's a Mapleglo 4003

Attached Files:

grimmchaos likes this.
  20. Kinda tangent to this discussion, not intended as a hijack. Disclaimer posted, briefly what is the difference between the 4003 and 4004? 4004 looks to me like more of a "bare bones" ax. Admittedly I haven't handled a Ric in some time but basically learned to play back in the day on a '74 4001 I wish I'd kept. Like the looks of the 4004, thinking about it... Appreciate the input, thanks.