Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003/S5 (5 string)

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by EFDisaster, Dec 1, 2004.

1. EFDisaster

EFDisaster

Nov 28, 2004
    I've got a 90s Rickenbacker 4003/S5 that I'm looking to sell. I just don't play it anymore and it's not a good backup, because the neck is so different from my main bass.

It's your classic Rick shape (no body binding and dot inlays, not triangles), black with white pickguard, I do have the pickup cover, but it's not attached. The finish has some stress cracks in it and a couple dings on the headstock/upper horn. Definitely not in pristine condition, but it ain't bad and it plays just fine.

[​IMG]

(pickup cover placed where it belongs, but not attached)
    more pictures here .

The nature of the beast (and the scary thought of shipping it) makes me want to sell semi-locally (New England/Northeast). If you've never touched a 5 string Rickenbacker, I woudn't want you to buy this sight-unseen. Rickenbacker decided to squeeze 5 strings into about the same space as their 4 string models. The neck is very thin and the string spacing is very tight.

They're pretty darn hard to find and I spent a pretty penny on it when I bought it. And I need its sale to help cover the cost of a new back-up bass to take its place. So I can't let it go for less than $1200.00

2. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    interested in trades

3. EFDisaster

EFDisaster

Nov 28, 2004
    ummm, not unless it's something really interesting. As I said, it's not a good back-up for me because the neck is so different, so what I'd like to do is get something with the same neck as my current 'main' bass. Unfortunately, that bass is a little out of the ordinary, being an asymmetrical Carvin neck.

4. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    see the "trade" thread. I responded to your question...

5. Walbassman

Walbassman

Nov 27, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    see my previous post

6. EFDisaster

EFDisaster

Nov 28, 2004
    Re: Walkbassman's trade offer. I went to a store and played a couple Ernie Balls, I don't like the necks. Too far of a reach down on the low end, I got sorta stubby fingers... I think I'll stick to my original plan and use the money from this sale to get another Carvin.

This bass is still for sale

7. freshelfpie

freshelfpie

Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Interested in the Rick, but I live in San Diego, CA. I will consider paying for professional packing and shipping (mailboxes etc., or whatever passes for that in the NE) if you will take $1000. Thanx.

8. EFDisaster

EFDisaster

Nov 28, 2004
    Added a few more photos with closepus of the cracks in the finish... I've had a few other bites and I'm passing these photos around, if all the bites are still interested, I might put it to auction.

Pictures have been added to
    the site on my server

I want to be firm on the price and I've had interest at full price, if that interest remains firm after everyone has seen these photos, I may have to put it to auction or choose whoever is most convenient to sell it to.

9. EFDisaster

EFDisaster

Nov 28, 2004
    still for sale, the guys at RickResource say the "stress cracks" are called "checking" and it's totally normal.

10. EFDisaster

EFDisaster

Nov 28, 2004
    Got about a month, or maybe less, before I get really desperate for cash, I can take more pictures if anyone is interested.