1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Rickenbacker 4003 SPC "The Naked Tux"

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 59jazz, Oct 11, 2017.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Price:
    $1800
    Strings:
    Dubbed the "Naked Tux", this one was originally a Tuxedo that had yellowed and Larry Davis performed a wonderful refin by leaving it blonde. The Tux is featured in Paul Boyer's book on the history of Rickenbacker basses; pages 134-135 I believe. I was intending to convert it to fretless, but I'm finding that I prefer the chunkier profiles of the 2014-2017 necks. This one is too slender and shallow to me. I'm not really jazzed about selling it, so I may eventually pull it off the classifieds. There is some "buzzing" above the 12th fret with the action set low, a fret leveling at the end of the neck would fix that. Very comfy to play, balances very well and is @ 9#'s. Comes with an '80's Rick case (blue interior) in good shape and a pictorial disc of Mr Davis' restoration process.
    $1800 shipped insured, conus only please. Please feel free to pm me for questions and detailed pics.
    ***UPDATE*** I eliminated the 90% of the buzzing by adjusting the rods. The adjustment nuts are either stiff or near the end of their travel.
    Here's a link to the previous sale. SOLD - Maple Rickenbacker "naked tux"
    IMG_20170612_202121.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm incredibly curious how this compares to a perro ferro

3. 59jazz

I have not played this one out live or at practice, just at home. It's a bit louder than my other 2 4003's but is not as brite sounding as my 4003SW with a maple board.

4. 59jazz

arbitrary likes this.
  5. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Grayling,MI.
    pm'd you

6. 59jazz

P.M's answered, thanks guys!

7. 59jazz