For Sale/Trade Rickenbacker 4003 SPC "The Naked Tux"

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by 59jazz, Oct 11, 2017.

1. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

Price:
    $1800
    Strings:
    Dubbed the "Naked Tux", this one was originally a Tuxedo that had yellowed and Larry Davis performed a wonderful refin by leaving it blonde. The Tux is featured in Paul Boyer's book on the history of Rickenbacker basses; pages 134-135 I believe. I was intending to convert it to fretless, but I'm finding that I prefer the chunkier profiles of the 2014-2017 necks. This one is too slender and shallow to me. I'm not really jazzed about selling it, but I am in need of another Music Man SR4. There is some "buzzing" above the 12th fret with the action set low, a fret leveling at the end of the neck would fix that. Very comfy to play, balances very well and is @ 9#'s. Comes with an '80's Rick case (blue interior) in good shape and a pictorial disc of Mr Davis' restoration process.
    Only trade (plus cash on your part) I would consider, is a Music Man SR4 fretted, ash body, non mute bridge and 2 band pre. Must be 9#'s or under. $1800 shipped insured, conus only please. Please feel free to pm me for questions and detailed pics.
    Here's a link to the previous sale. SOLD - Maple Rickenbacker "naked tux"
    IMG_20170612_202121.

2. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm incredibly curious how this compares to a perro ferro

3. 59jazz

I have not played this one out live or at practice, just at home. It's a bit louder than my other 2 4003's but is not as brite sounding as my 4003SW with a maple board.

4. 59jazz

arbitrary likes this.