Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003 Sustain Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by banksb, Jun 24, 2004.

1. banksb

banksb

Apr 22, 2004
    Hello Everyone,

I have a Brand New Rickenbacker 4003 that I just got in the mail. My A string is WAY louder and sustains WAY longer than the other strings. This is for all notes up and down the string. The E string is comparitively whimpy.

I've changed the strings from the stock ones to Daddario Chromes .45, checked the bridge, checked the nut, adjusted the pickup heights (no change).

I have confirmed this problem playing thru different amps and also running the bass directly into a mixing board, recording the bass and visually observing the different amplitudes of the E and A strings.

Does anyone have any solutions? Thanks very much in advance, its such a bummer to spend lots of money on something and then be disappointed like this. :help:

2. PietBas

PietBas

Dec 28, 2005
    Duffel - Belgium
    hello there !! dear colleague bassplayer. I know yr message is dated from 2004 !, BUT I only just bought a brand new 4003 and I have the sameproblem as you !! On the neck pickup the E string sounds A LOT less in volume and sustain as the rest of the strings ! The different was really TOO noticable ! I took off the pick-guard, and I noticed that the magnet of the pickup was positioned somewhat more to the side of the G string than the E string , so I thought by turning the pickup wold dolve the problem, and indeed it was SLIGHTLY better ! Then I lowered the pickup on the Gstring side and it was again slightly better. But this is of course not what we should do. But still the problem is there. AFter all I FEAR that it is a 'resonance problem' of the neck, that there is a kind of 'dead tone' zone in the lowest notes !!! The only solution U pray for is trying with another pickup eg of Seymour Duncan, but if that doesnt solve it, I really fear to have a 'bad' Rick !! ... Is YOUR problem solved in meantime ? and if so HOW !!!! Please advise me !!!