1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 switching jack

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Eric_Allard, Aug 17, 2018.

1. The switching jack in my Ric 4003 has been unreliable for as long as I've owned the bass. The least amount of movement on the plug causes one of the pickups to cut out or the output level to drop significantly. As a result, I haven't been able to trust the bass enough to use it live.
    Anyone have any suggestions for fixing this? The cavity is so tight that I think the jack gets distorted when it is installed in the bass.
    Has anyone changed their 4003 wiring to a simple mono output like on the 4003S? I don't expect to ever use the Ric-o-Sound feature (who really wants to drag a second amp to shows).

2. Boy... I drag mine every time I play...
    411D0D9E-273B-41E9-A7D6-0313B08C575B.jpeg

3. Have the output jack replaced or repaired.

4. Yeah... Maybe I should try fixing it again.
    Does anyone else have trouble with that jack or is it just me? I've repaired it a few times already, but it appears to get distorted when it's reinstalled in the bass due to that excessively tight hole it goes into.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Eric_Allard likes this.
  6. BK bassist

BK bassist Schroeder Cabinets endorsing artist Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2017
    Brooklyn, NY

First two 4003's I purchased (both brand new) had input jack issues.

+1

Eric_Allard likes this.
  7. Glad it's not just me. Did you return or repair them?

8. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    My brothers 360 had the same issue. You need to pinch the prong ends of the Jack closer together.

Eric_Allard likes this.
  9. Try this stuff-

CAIG Laboratories DeoxIT

Works like a charm. used it on my pedals when I thought that the jacks or patch cables were going wonky. Gave each item a spray and haven't had a bad jack or cable in the last 3 years!

SirMjac28 and Eric_Allard like this.
  10. I did this to my 4003, worked like a charm hasn’t cut out in well over a year so far.

Eric_Allard likes this.
  11. Thank you all for the replies. I'll give it a try this weekend.

12. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The mounting slots in my 4001 were super tight around the jacks. If the rotation of the jacks in the slots was not perfect, the jacks would not function properly.

Eric_Allard likes this.
  13. It’s no wonder. The jacks on a bass are for output. :roflmao:

john m, Aceonbass and 12bass like this.
  14. dennis james

dennis james

Jun 30, 2018
    chicago area
    had an output jack on a new 4003s that required serious force to push the plug in far enough to where it clicked into place. also the bridge PU on that same bass went completely dead for a period of about 3 days. just when I was about to ship it back to the factory it started working again and continued to work without issue for the remainder of the time I owned it, about a year. I have no clue why that pickup died for that short period of time, and then came back to life.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  15. Mertle72

Mertle72

Dec 20, 2013
    Missouri
    @Aceonbass his harness will change your life..... vintage Rick tone with sozo caps.

Aceonbass likes this.
  16. Same problem, Had it sent back to the factory as still under warranty. They could find find nothing wsromg and attributed to operator error. Expecting it back in a few days

17. Switchcraft jack and electrosocket .

18. What do you mean?

19. Change the existing jack Electrosocket Jack Mount | stewmac.com

I’ve successfully used these in Telecaster style basses and guitars and to replace football plate style jacks mounts as well and never had another problem. Install a new Switchcraft jack at same time and you’re set. No more issues.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  20. Attributed a problem with plugging into the jack an operator error?
    What? Do they think you don’t have opposable thumbs?

How about design error, or poor build quality!
    That’d be the last straw for me with that outfit.

Alan Scharrer likes this.