1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 vs. 63 American Vintage Reissue Precision for metal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mantis Tobaggan, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    So I am back with my metal band. I realized after a few months and also getting way caught up at work that I really miss it. We have a gig in February opening for Sick of it All and I can't wait. I have always played my Rickenbacker at the 4001 setting with the bridge PUP soloed. I love how it sits in the mix. However, I am really loving my new P-Bass. I plan to bring both to practice to try both of them out but I wanted to get some feedback as far as what other people have experienced with playing either of these basses in a heavy metal band. I am interested in what TB recommends. My precision has a really nice low tone and the Rick gets a really nice grind/clank tone. Both play really excellent, but they are like night and day. I play out of an Ampeg 810. Thanks.

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I know it's not an AVRI, or even a Fender, but this Schecter P clone sounds pretty good here

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Big P bass fan here. Go with the Ric and blend in t a little of the neck pickup for some umph. A P bass is a lot of things to a lot f people, myself included. "The best bass for metal" it usually isn't.

(No, I do not need to be bombarded with pics of Steve Harris and others who play a P bass in a metal band, thank you.)

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I just played this through a pretty good stereo with a sub. That sounds good to you? The bass is buried in the mix and is a muddy mess. (Maybe he did something later in the video I didn't see/hear.) It's not the fault of the bass or the player. Whomever was mixing that needs to be hit with a hammer.

5. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I like how it sounds. Different strokes and all that. For the record I am not a huge P fan that believes they are the be all end all of bassdom.
    IIRC, D.D. Verni of Overkill used a Ric on the first two albums, and sounds good here

byoung93888 likes this.
  6. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    thanks. does sound like a solid foundation but not as bright or up front as the rick would be. but it gives me a good idea as to what the P would sound like in a metal mix.

byoung93888 likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would think the Ric with just the bridge pup would be a little thin. Without hearing what you are playing, if you are a lead player, probably the Ric - if traditional bass then the P.

8. Wolfenstein666

Wolfenstein666

Dec 19, 2014
    I've played both with my band. They both sound fantastic. You literally are in a win-win situation. The last two gigs I've played I've flipped a coin between the two.

9. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Aaaaand, here we go again!!!

Simply looking at where the Rick "treble" pickup is, and compare that to the P-bass... And the Jazz bass... And any other bass you wish...

What makes the P-bass "different" is the "split-pickup" configuration. It changes the "mids" in a way that most other pickups don't... If that is THE sound you are after, no other pickup will "do" or "GET" that!!

However, The Rick "treble" pickup, and the Jazz bass "neck" pickup, and the P-bass pickup are ALL in the so-ccalled "sweet spot." Therefore, they can all get a "similar" sound.

The Rick "neck" or "bass" pickup can add a depth that neither Fender bass can achieve, due to string position. It makes the Rick more versatile in tones than any Fender bass... BUT, only the Jazz bass has the treble pickup "burp" that was made famous by Jaco... I am probably wrong...

But, my point is, the "sweet spot" is offered by many bass guitars... Most sound almost identical! The BIGGEST difference is the P-bass because of the "split-pickup" design. It makes the so-called" modern P-bass unique. NO other bass can achieve the same sound without the "split-coil" design.

However, neither Fender bass can achieve the same "lows" as the Ricks... Again, look at pick-up placement...

Ok, I'm a Rickenbacker AND a P-bass fan!!! I couldn't live without the Ricks!!! But the Ps provide something the Ricks can't, and visa versa...

I don't require any other basses! AND, personally, I could live without the P... But NOT without the Rick!!

10. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    About as thin as a Jazz, since the pickups are in similar positions... The P has a "split" pickup, designed to reduce hum... In doing so, it has it's "own" sound.

11. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Aside from a bit of hum, the Rick should sound "clearer," and the P more "mid" pronounced.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  12. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I "jam" with a metal guitarist and he likes the way my P bass cuts through the mix (as compared to my Jazz bass which is super sucky for metal), BUT if I had a Ric (and I want one badly), I use it... it screams METAL, they look great, and the sound of a Ric being played with a pick melts me like a schoolgirl at a Ariana Grande concert. Do the Ric.

byoung93888 likes this.
  13. Mantis Tobaggan

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I have been playing the precision with the band quite a bit. I’ve done a few gigs with both at this point. I love both. I will probably grab the Rick next because it has been a while.

14. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Only in America do we grapple with dilemmas like this. :D ;)

Enjoy the process of discovering which bass sounds best on which song, as they are both great basses with distinct personalities.
    My metal band plays about 1/2 our songs in E, and the other 1/2 in drop-D.
    I always use one of my 2 Spector basses for the drop-D, but I bring a different passive bass each rehearsal for the E set.
    With 4 Precisions, 3 Jazz Basses and a Ric to choose from, I simply rotate through them all. :bassist:

byoung93888 and Mantis Tobaggan like this.
  15. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I'd throw in a set of EMG JAX, a preamp, and rattlecan it. tranny.

16. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    I can actually hear that bass pretty ok on my ipad speakers honestly. I don’t think it’s the absolute best bass tone or mix that I’ve ever heard by any means, but I don’t think it sounds bad or even all that muddy. If I was trying to learn that bassline, I think I could do off my ipad even. I guess it really is different strokes. Or maybe the EQ on your stereo isn’t set so great for this style? I dunno.

17. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Both the P and the Ric can sound great in a rock / metal band. Though personally, I'd use a Ric.

Mantis Tobaggan and byoung93888 like this.
  18. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Whats with this a Ric? You need more Rics to offset all those Fenders!

superdick2112 likes this.
  19. Both would sound great. I'm in a metal band and use a P-bass. I get lots of compliments on my tone. My friend is in a metal band and uses a Ric. I think he sounds awesome.
    It's a win-win. Flip a coin and don't look back!

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  20. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    The neck pickup in a Jazz bass is closer to the neck than the treble pickup in a Rick. I don't believe in the 'sweet spot' either.