Rickenbacker 4003 vs. Conklin Groove Tools 7

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slipperyPete, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Keep Rickenbacker 4003

64 vote(s)
  2. Sell Ric to get GT7

27 vote(s)
  3. Other?

4 vote(s)
  1. Hey all, I was hoping to get some opinions about what I should do. I currently have a Rickenbacker 4003 that I've had for almost 5 years, and this is my only bass besides my homemade fretless. The problem is I've wanted to get an extended range bass now for quite some time, but won't have any money for another 5 years or so. So the question is this, should I sell my Ric to get a GT7? Any opinions or advice welcomed.
  2. Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Everytime I've sold something of mine, I've wanted it back badly, this isn't talking about bass or amps or anything, I refuse to sell any of my bass or amps now becuase I know i'll want them back. I would just wait and save for the bass you want and keep the rick.
  3. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    i have a GT-7, never had a ric.
    i'm biased, but i would recommend keeping the ric. you will regret dumping it.
    the conk is a wonderful piece of gear, but i'm getting to like the sound of rics.
    (i'm such a traitor...don't tell JT what i said, ok?)
    one thing that would help you make up yer mind...go to a store that carries conks and play the thing. a lot. standing up.
    that could make yer mind up right there.
    that being said, the geetee is a nice entry level ERB, suited for whatever you want, but is better sitting than standing, IMO.
  4. Do it. The sooner you do, the sooner you can start practicing with all those strings.
  5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    If you lose the Ric, you'll wish you had it back.......maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and then for the rest of your life!
  6. Well, I figure if I keep the Ric, I'll have to save up for the 7 stringer because I will eventually be getting an extended range bass. So if I sell the Ric, and if I ever want the Ric back (I already know I would) I'll just have to start saving up for that instead.
  7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Never sell gear that you don't hate or else it will haunt you!
  8. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Get the GT7

*This information is Biased*
  9. caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Keep the Ric. I sold one in the early 80's and still have the feeling my left arm is missing.
  10. Keep you Ric. They are sweet instruments and you will wish you had it back. The Ric and the GT7 are so different anyways, it will be missing if you get rid of it.

What I want to know is why it's going to take you 5 years to save up $700. Honestly, it shouldn't take you more than a year. What do you do? Do you smoke? Stop and you've got your bass in a few months! Drink a lot of coffee at Starbucks? Stop and you've got your bass in a few months. Honestly, if you have an income, finding $700 shouldn't be any problem if you really want this bass. Sell your plasma monthly and you can make about $150 a month! That's about 5 months! Heck, go start collecting bottles and cans!
  11. Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005

I though GT7s were about $1200, unless you're talking about a used bass...

Personally, I'd keep the Ric. Get a part-time job and you could easily have a GT7 by next summer.
  12. Well I don't have any income, I'm a full time student living on loans and will be for the next 5 to 7 years probably. I suppose if I really try I could probably get it in a year and half or so if I skimp on other expenses.

After reading all of your comments and looking at the poll, I've decided to hold off on selling the Ric for at least a little while to see if I can't come up with some money some other way. Thanks to everyone for your input.
  13. bearbass

Jan 28, 2005
    north carolina
    I boght my first rick 4001 22 years ago when I was 17,I stopped playing when I was 21 and sold it. I have just started playing again and bought a fender geddy lee which I love. But I think back when I was a kid and paid 400 bucks for that rick and later sold it for 300 bucks.Needless to say I have a New 4003 on Lawaway now that i will have out in time for a 20 year reunion gig! my first in almost 20 years. but I can still rock after practicing hard for the past 8 months.If you sell you will regret it one day,even if it takes 20 years!!!!!!!!!
  14. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I don't get what the big deal is. It's not like you can't just go out and get another Ric. They've been in production for decades and not only can you get a new one easily, they're all over in the used market. The GT7 on the other hand is no longer in production and wasn't a super hot seller even when it was. I see less of them for sale used than I do Rics.

Getting an ERB will broaden your palette and give you new ideas on how to approach the instrument. It's as functional as the Ric for ensemble playing and better for solo playing. Getting a GT7 now will get you practice time on all those strings (as was mentioned before). It's easy to jump back into playing the Ric. Not so easy to just pick up years of ERB chops.

Plus there's just something that's so luscious about having more strings than most guitarists.
  15. That's one of the ideas that has been floating around my head msquared, even if I don't like the GT7 I could just sell it on ebay (where I'm planning to get it in the first place) and get a Ric off ebay then.

Hmm... I still can't make up my mind one way or the other right now.
  16. wait... how did you bias that info? did you have to swap out the grid capacitor?
  17. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Aren't they 2 completely different beasts?
  18. BasStefan, PM with an offer.

Petary791, yes they are two completely different beasts, and if I could have my way I would have both, this is why I am torn between what to do, though I am leaning towards selling it.