1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 vs. Fender Geddy Lee Sig vs. 78' Ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Oct 21, 2013.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey folks. I'm looking into buying a new bass and I have narrowed it down to three choices. I'm mostly looking at the Rickenbacker 4003 or the Geddy bass. I just wanted to hear other peoples opinions and what they would pick of these three basses and why.
    Party on. :bassist:

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Both great choices. The Geddy is a Fender Jazz. If you've ever played a Fender Jazz, you have a pretty good idea of the feel of the Geddy.

The Ric is something else entirely. Some people love them, some people hate them, but no one ever seems to think they're just OK.

Play a Ric before you buy a Ric. I love mine, but they are very polarizing.

3. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

I'd pick the 4003, but that's because it's my favorite model of bass. My opinion's pretty biased in this regard.

Ultimately, you have to pick the bass that works best for you.

4. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Hmm. Let me think . . . .

5. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    Almost an apples and oranges comparison here. I love my 4003. I sold my Geddy Lee as the neck was so thin my hand would cramp up everytime I played it. I have a Roadworn Jazz that I love equally as well as my Ric. But the Ric and Jazz are nothing alike in any way.

You really do need to play both before choosing, unless of course you just buy both ;))

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Get one of each

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I recommend the '78 Ric. As long as it's in good shape, It would be a dream to play/own(at least for me). Whatever you choose, you should gig with it to really be sure. MY 4003 really shines in "Live" situations.

8. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Wow those are nice options to have. Love the Geddy but my hand also cramped up because of the thin neck. Love the looks of Rickenbacker basses but have never had the opportunity to play one.

9. micgtr71

micgtr71

Dec 4, 2012
    Play the tics before you decide. Being a Squire and Lee fan I wanted to get a ric. I had one and could never bond with it. I wanted to like it but I could never get used to it. Maybe you will like it.

10. BigJohnAZ

BigJohnAZ

Jun 26, 2012
    I've got a '77 4001 and have played the Jazz. I do like the feel and the sound of the Jazz, but when I pick up my Ricky, it just feels and plays perfect.

With fresh roundwounds, the tone is obviously bright, but once they get played in and mellow out, you can really dial in some nice tones. You can get the typical "Rick" growl or roll off the tone on both pickups and dial each pickup in to get some nice thump, too.

My amp has two input channels so I use the Rick O Sound jack and split the pickups into the amp. I have the bridge pickup set with some overdrive and the neck pretty mellow. Sounds great when you really dig in.

11. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for the replies so far. I'll maybe add a little more info. I play everything from jazz and blues to death metal and punk. I like to consider myself a bit of a technical type player. So, with that in mind, which bass could likely be able to be used across the spectrum of music, and which would be more uniquely configured to one or two genres.

12. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

People say Rickenbackers are one trick pones, but that's not really true. I've used mine for folk, rock, blues, and black metal. I'd use it for jazz, too, set on the neck pickup for an upright-ish tone, if I were in such a band.

13. Titania

Titania

Aug 17, 2012
    Shirley, MA
    Personally, I'd pick the 4003 (and I have :)). You really can't go wrong with one, provided you like how they play. I don't like jazzes. The skinny necks make my hands cramp. With a 4003, you've got a lot of variety of tones to choose from, including the 4001 tone with the push/pull tone selector. If the body binding bothers you, consider a 4004.

14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    while the responses so far seem one-sided for the Ric, I'm gonna add one more.

I've played everything on my 4003; reggae, afrobeat, funk, rock, blues, punk, prog, jazz, metal, top 40 even... hell there's nothing it can't do. It depends on strings, and your technique more importantly. The bass is also the most comfortable one I've ever played.

I love the sound of Jazz basses when others play them, but I've yet to find/play one that's truly 'right' for me

15. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Big +1. I love the look and the sound from players I like who have them. The first 3 4001's I bought I hated, but the 4th Ric, a 4000, is awesome. Is it the model? Probably due to the binding and the electronics, so yeah.