1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 vs. Fender MIM JB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ercdvn01, Nov 12, 2006.

1. ercdvn01

ercdvn01

Nov 9, 2006
    What would you recommend for a beginner that wants a really nice bass?

2. Considering that a Ric 4003, new OR used is going to cost you $1000+, and a new MIM Jazz will run you $400, I'm going with the Fender.

Plus a beginner has no need for a Ric. A Ric is an expensive bass, and you don't NEED something as high class as that yet.

Rics take getting used to anyway. You've got to make sure you like its tone, its neck, its shorter scale. But Fenders are the middle ground for everything, and take little adapting for a beginner.

3. Fender

As said its middle ground

DONT learn on a shortscale

I did that and as a result it took me a little time to get used to my normal scale once i made the switch. Even if it was only a day XD

Get yourself the cheaper one and put some away for your next one if you like playing

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Eh, Ricks are only 3/4" shorter in scale. Over the years I've never even noticed it when switching back and forth between it and a regular 34" scale bass.

5. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Not sure if I agree with that.... If it's in your budget and its what you want, grab it. Two totally different basses there... any insight on why the two choices?

6. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Ric? Beginner? :eek: :rollno:

If you got a Ric as a beginner bass I'd go green with envy!

Having that said, I think it would be better to learn on a MIM, and not a 3/4 bass. I think the Fender would have alot more playability for a beginner.

7. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Even if I was rich,I wouldn't start with a high end bass.I'd go with a nice,budget bass.After some time when I have a better idea and taste about basses,I'd buy whatever I want.But thats just me.

spaz21387 likes this.
  8. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    If you buy a Ric you better stick with playing bass. No turning around after that big of an investment ><.

9. If you have the money I would go with the Ric. The Jazz is a standard and is very versatile. The Ric has a voice more on the lines of a Precision bass with more treble bite. The Ric is a very well constructed bass. Everything FITS!! Even the chrome on the bass was all sent to the same chromer so that there would be no difference in the tint of the finish between chrome parts. They are a true work of art, and IF you have a bass you REALLY like, chances are you will practice more. The Ric will also hold its value much more than the MIM Jazz. This way IF you don't like playing bass, in the future you will be able to sell the Ric and still get most of what you paid for it.

10. Price issues aside, Rickenbackers have pretty strong and distinctive personality that may or may not fit your taste or musical context. Jazz Bass, OTOH, is a virtual jack-of-all-trades that isn´t a stranger to any musical genre or application. That´s why I would recommend it over a Ric for a beginner.

Quality-wise, a Mexican made Fender is more than good enough for a beginner, IMO. If you have the dough, by all means go for MIA Fender, Ric or whatever, but I doubt the difference in quality would be very meaningful for you at this stage. So unless you are swimming in cash, I´d invest in a reasonably priced bass (like MIM Jazz) and save the rest for an amp.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, as has been said, I think your best bet is the jazz bass.

Price issues aside, it is better "middle ground" bass. it'll give you very authentic tones funk, jazz, rock, fusion, whatever you play. The Ric will do the same, but they have a somewhat more limited pallette imo. And if you ever want to start slapping, the jazz bass will probably suit you better (the tone I find is much better suited to slapping than that of a Ric).

I love both types of basses but I feel in this situation you'll prefer the Jazz. If you feel that a Ric would be a good bass for you in the future whenyou perhaps know a little more aobut what you want from a bass then go for one.

I think ever bassist should have a jazz bass at some time in their life. I know that I once said I'd never get one, and I've just bought one (it's still on order though! :mad: ).

12. puff father

puff father Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    I have to go with the Fender. Nice thing about that is that if you get one you like a lot you'll probably never have to get rid of it. It could end up the one bass you use forever or at least always useful to you. Nothing against Ricks at all. Just seems more a logical approach to me for a starter.

:bassist:

13. Thats my worry, right there. He's never played before. So he doesn't know what he likes. Ric are like Alembics, Warwicks, etc. In that they are quite different in look, feel, and tone. You've got to make sure thats exactly what you want before you invest in it. And he has no idea what he likes and dislikes yet.

Starting with a Fender, as I said above, is the ultimate middle ground, for everything. If you get a Fender, thats a starting point for molding your preferences in basses. You won't be out as much cash in selling a MIM Fender than you would a Ric. You probably wont feel near as guilty. And its probably better that 75% that you'll love it and keep it.

Plus, Fenders are great canvases for change. Maybe you decide you like Active electronics, or active pickups, or just hotter passive pickups, or heavier bridges, brass nuts, etc.... All of those things are readily available in Jazz Bass form. So if you do find something you want to change about the bass, you can just change it, rather than go through the trouble of selling your bass, then buying another one.

14. bigfiddle

bigfiddle

Aug 25, 2006
    Dallas, Texas
    My first Bass was a new 4001 JG in 1972. I'm still playing Ricks!

15. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Please dont take this as being facetious, or as a smart remark, but if you can afford a Ric and really are torn between which you want ... get both, and move on to learning ... just dont buy new, and you will recoup your investment if you buy wisely ... since the two are so different, it is like asking if we prefer white or colors, you will be able to judge for yourself over time ... that is part of the learning curve too, as to what you like to play and feels good, but right now you do not know what you like, or what feels good ... again, just respectfully submitting an opinion ... try not to get hung up on gear at this point ...

16. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE

Ric is not a 3/4 bass. It's 3/4 in shorter than a jazz.

Ric 33 1/3
    Jazz 34

Virtually identical scales.

17. Lowpro

Lowpro

Sep 25, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    If he has the money to get a Rick 4003, while I don't suggest getting that particular model ( not a Rick guy, didn't like them) I mean, go out and try the Yamaha TRB line, or the Reggie Hamilton Fender model.

18. ercdvn01

ercdvn01

Nov 9, 2006
    thanks everyone!

Looks like I will go with the Jazz due to the price and It seems as if it might be a little easier to learn on. I would really like to pick up a Aria SB-1000 (Cause I'm John Taylor a fan) but I have a better chance of becoming the next president of the United States before finding one in a lefty.