1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Rickenbacker 4003 vs. Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DionClassic, Mar 27, 2015.

1. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    Hey Guys,

I was just recently A/Bing by 79 P bass, sting reissue and my Rickenbacker to hear the main differences and make the EQ adjustments...

Long story short, this wasn't really a battle it was more of a "I like how this one does this and I like how that one does that"

the biggest thing that surprised me was that the ric really has a deep tone. I always assumed the P Bass had the beefier lows but the Ric really had a deeper, smoother low end while maintaining a crisp yet edgy top end.

Any of you guys experience similar with your rics?

2. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    This does not surprise me. When I think of P basses, I think lower mids rather than bottom. My 2013 AmSt Precision has aggressive midrange but when it comes to a big, round bottom, it's not in the same league as my 2011 AmSt Jazz bass. Not even close.

I'd love to hear your comparison of the Sting vs. P bass with split pickups.

That Sting is a bass I'm interested in. Nearly bought one a couple of months back but it turned out the truss rod was maxed out.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I use to A-B my Ric and P.
    Sold the Ric and kept the P...

DionClassic likes this.
  4. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    The Sting is great. I have original 54 flats on it and the action is real nice. I did upgrade the pickup to something more full range but it definitely sits in the mix really well. With the 79 getting most of the playing time it may go on the block if you're interested.

5. DionClassic

DionClassic

Feb 15, 2012
    So let me get this clear. Rics and Jazzes are mid scooped while P basses are low mid heavy with a high roll off?

6. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I'm P-bass nut who recently bought my first RIC, I wanted to taste the Kool Aid for myself and see if I liked it.

(It's mighty tasty!)

I like both tones a lot, but I don't know that I'd exactly say the Rickenbacker has a deeper voice. To me the RIC doesn't sound deeper as such, but it definitely has a different voice when you "go deep".

DionClassic likes this.
  7. Ric's have more low's than they get credit for..maybe because they have a mid(high-mid) snarl that grabs your ear first but, the low end is there in spades..I've always heard a lot of low mid's with(split coil) P basses and I think the "51 style has a rounder more even sound..I used to have a "51 R.I(CIJ) that I loved and sorry I ever sold it..I was able to coax some Ric-like snarl out of it with roundwounds and the classic tones with flats..it was also a bass that would change it's character to a certain degree depending where I played(plucked)..more so than any other bass I've owned..

8. I dont own my Ric anymore, but I thought it had a great bottom end to it. If you havent tried one with flats yet your in for a real treat! I have a set of Fender 9050cl that I originally had on the Ric and it sounded
    like pure tasty thunder. Still have the strings and I throw them on my Pbass from time to time when I feel I need a change in tone and feel. They do get better with age.

9. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The modern Rics with the pull vintage control are more versatile than you would think. IMO my 4003 is closer in tone to my Js than my Ps. But it sure plays like butter, just love that neck which you can set flat and get no fret buzz.