Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adivin, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Nov 12, 2012
    Well for one thing, Ric is not the bass equivalent of a Porsche, and I also wouldn't have to drive a few Porsches off the lot before I found a good one.

2. 254 stringer

254 stringer Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Do they look like this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375646698.324921.jpg

3. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    They are the pins for the Schaller strap lock system.
    You'll need the strap half of the set (and yeah, they should come with the bass, but they don't).

4. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    WHAT no strap lock comes with the bass. I'm sure if they moved their production to China and made a $300 entry level rick John Hall could afford to put strap locks in the case. What will this company do next send the basses out without strings. Their reputation is so bad I'm sure they will be out of business soon. If they cared more about their customers and quit spending all that time suing everyone they would see how much more money they can make with a cheaper rick.

I love my 4003 if you want one save up for it. There are about as many problems with these as USA fenders just try till you find one you like. yza2ygen.jpg

5. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You have to furnish the strap side yourself. Sucks.

6. ^^^^
    This. I bought a new 4003 from MF a year or so ago and sent it back because it was no where close, in feel or sound, to my early 80's 4003.

7. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
  8. 254 stringer

Apr 15, 2010
    Waco Texas
    Yeah like kcole4001 said its the pin side of a schaller you have to buy the locks or some people use rubber washers or the plastic locks that slip over the button.
    6aty3ahy.jpg
    ejubu5yn.jpg

9. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Nov 12, 2012
    Good. I'm sure somebody that actually knows what they're doing would be more than willing to take that operation over and do something with it.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Ummm, yeah...I don't think they're going to be out of business any time soon.

Why would they make a cheaper Ric when they've got tons of orders for what they sell now? Largely unchanged for what, 60 something years? Also, they make A LOT of guitars. Not just basses...

11. imo cheaper isn't the answer for RIC. it's better quality control. I'm often embarrassed for them when I see ricks in stores because the nut work is nearly always terrible. if they could clean up the details like that the price tag wouldn't be such an issue. better hardware and customer service would also help, but...baby steps.

12. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    I looked through this thread, and unless I missed it, no one has responded to the OP's question above.

There are some comments relating to neck thickness, but I believe those comments might be referring to the thickness "front to back" on the neck, not nut width.

Do any Ric experts out there have info regarding nut width? Does it vary according to year? I know the C64 versions are 1 and 5/8's instead of 1 and 11/16th's (not much difference, but still different). But among regular 4001's and 4003's, are they all 1 and 11/16th's?

13. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Nov 12, 2012
    Why does Fender make Squiers? Why does Gibson make Epiphone?

Because there are tons of people that would jump on the opportunity to buy a good quality, inexpensive Ric with a few less frills, but don't have the money for the real deal. Likewise, people who have money for the real thing aren't going to settle for a budget model. QC at the U.S. plant could potentially go up with a decreased workload, and they could stop wasting their time suing people for catering to a market that could be theirs for the taking.

14. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Squier was originally a U.S. string manufacturer that Fender bought out in 1965 and begand using the name in 1982 when they launched their budget line. Epiphone was founded in 1873, 29 years before gibson was founded (1902). Epiphone and Gibson were rivals until Gibson bought them out in 1957. production remained in the U.S. until the '70s when production was moved to the Matsumoku plant in japan. that was the beginning of them started to become lower-priced budget models.

15. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm starting to like the Ric strings more I play them. I suspect they are round core. Anyone know for sure?

16. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Nov 12, 2012
    It was a rhetorical question, but thanks.:D

17. adivin

adivin

Jul 9, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't know if they are round or hex core but the set is unusual: 105 75 55 45. Anyone make a set like this other then Ric?

18. I put a 2011 Fireglo on layaway last month, and when I tested it it rocked. Had a thin neck, sounds incredible, these basses definately seem worth the high price tag. Mine was $1799 plus tax. Have to pay 418 a month until october.

19. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yes, that's the only nut width option. As for the type of core in the Rick strings, I don't know; depends who makes them for Rickenbacker, I suppose. What string gauge to use? I would stick to whatever Rick approves until your warranty expires. "Wrong strings" seems to be Rick's kneejerk first "Warranty is void" position if you have a problem.:rollno: There is a pretty wide selection that will satisfy them, though, but if you like the factory strings, how much safer can you be? As some others have mentioned, really old 4001s weren't happy with heavy strings, but the new 4003s don't have a problem - unless you go crazy & try to use bridge cables or something. I have 50-105 nickel rounds on my 4001, and the Rick Light nickels on my 4003, but that's mainly just to make them sound a little different. Since they both have the push-pull pot and a cap, there's not much to choose between them; even the neck contours are the same.:D Oh, and I paid $2500 apiece for mine- both used, and both lefties. Even for a new lefty, that would still be in the ballpark. Be grateful you're not one of us!

20. DasBassDude

DasBassDude

Apr 15, 2011
    USA
    Yes, RIC, please listen to random knuckle-draggers on the internet on how to manage your 82 year old business. You don't seem to be doing a very good job... :rolleyes:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021