Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Apr 23, 2004.

1. I tried this bass for the first time today. Man, was I impressed!
    I'd heard about it, but never actually played one, truly an amazing experience. I think I wanna have it.

2. Yeah..great basses...i love mine and plan on adding more Ric's very soon. :)

3. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I second that! My Ric is probably the one bass (aside fom my Daions!) that I would NOT part with! Absolutely love it!

4. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    Ditto man. Got my 4003 Montezuma this winter. I absolutely love it. Neck is so comfortable. The sustain, and punch. Man, I can't beat it.

5. I love the sound, but I've heard some bad things about the new ones. More specifically, the necks can be real trouble and warp easily, and sometimes the action is set ridiculously high. Apparently, an early 80's/late 70's 4003 the way to go.

I could be completely wrong, but its what I've heard from a number of sources.

6. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I've had a couple, and they are great. They have a distinctive tone and quick necks. But don't try to slap on them. It's agreat way to give blood...to the whole front row. Okay, that was graphic. But it was why I moved on to Jazz basses.

I do still miss that Ric sound, though. Strangely enough, my favorite wasn't a real Ric. I bought a Univox "lawsuit" 4003 copy. Originally it was supposed to be my backup bass. It became my favorite for a couple of years, until American Airlines dropped it out of the case. It was worthless after that. Unfixable.

*heavy sigh*

I miss it.

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    The new Rickenbackers have Dual Graphite Truss rod's (or so I heard) So they tend to be pretty stable. Alot of people have said the old 4001 from the 70's are unstable. But IMHO I think the new ones are great.

They are a little bit difficult to slap on but I like it, almost tones up your technique not having that much space to let your finger flail around in.

I love my Ric and I've let every one know that when I finally die I am to be buried with it. :D