Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cammojoe, Jul 27, 2001.

1. cammojoe

cammojoe Guest

Jul 27, 2001
    Houston, Tx, USA
    I have just put a used Rickenbacker 4003 on layaway for $750. The condition is perfect and it comes with the case. I have bought from the shop before and I trust the merchandise. Is it worth the money and is it as great of a bass as I hear. I want to hear good and bad.

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    if youve played one and you like it its a damn good deal. rickenbackers are $4000 in australia and i havent played one but i think they would kill.
    later
    Lukas

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i would compare a ric to a stingray. They have a pretty distinct sound that is good for a certain application. I play punk. I have a stingray, and i love it, its IMO perfect sound. I would not even think of playing a ric for punk. Not that it doesn't have a good sound, it does, just not for what i want it for. IF you like the sounds then your fine. it other respects rics are made as well or better than any bass out there. Ive never seen a double truss rod on a 4 string, thats a real nice feature. And i do have a spector neck through and the rics are neck through, that is an extremely nice feature. I'd say you got an amazing deal on the price, have fun on your new bass.

4. Wow, this is the first time I've ever had to bump something up to "Basses"!!

Better not waste any time...

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    There is no bad. Ric's are the best production bass made...hands down.

For that price it should be in VERY GOOD condition.

6. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

but it has a very distinct tone. it should be in addition to a Fender Jazz Bass.

7. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Good for you! I've had my 4003 (JetGlo, of course) for about a month now, and I adore it - I got mine for a grand, and it was worth every penny. The fact that you're getting yours for 750 just makes it that much sweeter.

I love the way it looks, I love the way it feels when I wear it, I love the stupid-fast neck and the way you can get a good fret with no effort anywhere on the fretboard, I love the way it stays in tune, and I love the range of sounds I can get out of it.

The ONLY thing that even remotely bothers me is the pickup cover, it gets in the way sometimes (especially when I'm slapping), but I'm working around that. I may pull it off if I just can't find the comfort zone, but I get used to working around it a little more each day.

I've been wanting a Rick ever since I saw a video of Rush doing 'The Trees' as a kid (on HBO, way back then, they played music videos between movies, before MTV came around), and it's been well worth the wait. It's the best bass I've ever owned, and probably ever WILL own. You done good.

8. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    You slap your rickenbacker? What does it sound like? I have heard people say that ricks don't have a good slap tone.

9. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    It sounds great! My slap style is downward more than inward, so even though my action is low, I'm not bonking the string(s) against the pickup or fretboard, so I get a really good meaty tone off the ball of my thumb. I was concerned about the Rick's reputation for not being slappable, but I did a couple of funk runs on it at the store and was more than happy with the results - I don't know if they did a setup on it or if it came from the factory that way, but it slapped very nice with no clicking. I wouldn't have bought it if I couldn't slap it, that makes up about 35 percent of my style.

I actually think that the Rick is very well suited tonally for slap style, since it has much more of a midrangey-high sound in the first place - don't get me wrong, the bottoms are great too, but it's richest on the mids and highs. The Rick has a very distinctive signature when it comes to the sound, but it has a reputation for being a specialized bass which I think is undeserved. It's very versatile, and it sounds great with every genre of music I play. That's good enough for me!

10. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks for the reply.

I might get a rick now. I was unsure about it as some people consider it a "one trick" pony.

11. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    As with anything, not just basses, your best course of action is to gather as much information as you can (reviews, testimonials, opinions) and then go try it out yourself. A Rick is a hearty investment, and any store that would begrudge you a good half hour of fooling around on it before laying your money down doesn't deserve your business, so play it yourself first, run it thru a battery of styles, and make sure it's what you want. I'm confident you'll fall in love with it like I did, but there is no better guideline than personal experience. If and when you get yours, post a picture of it!

12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Thanks for the advice, the problem is that I am left-handed. And it seem that uk shops don't care about us leftys as they never have any in stock. I have been looking at reviews and asking questions to rick owners, and they have all spoken great things about them.