1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crested Radish, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Hi All

I'm considering buying a Rickenbacker 4003 (New), I'm a lefty so I'll be lucky to find one and probably won't get to try one.

Couple of questions for those in the know -

1 - A Guy who I work with had an old 4001 some years ago and tells me it was neck heavy, is this still the case?

2 - I remember reading on these forums that some modifications are required to the electronics as one of the pickups is quiet, is this still the case?

3 - As the place I am considering buying from does not do p/x can anyone suggest a good hiding place for 2 of my existing basses after I lie to my wife about the shop taking them as p/x <g>

Thanks in advance.

2. 1 - Even more neck-heavy, thanks to the heavier redesigned truss rod system and thicker necks.

2. Nope, Rickenbacker removed the treble pickup capacitor not all that long ago.

3. At a buddy's house?

--jeff

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    1) I think they hang nice! My 4001 is very comfortable.

2) Like the feckn eejit said. Most 4003s don't have the cap.

3) And I thought I was the only one having this problem. And for my next trick - convincing her the new Steinberger XM2 is really one of my old Steinberger Spirit XT2s! Shazam!

4. Ha ha ha...that's funny. :)

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm still gonna try - they're both black and say "Steinberger".

6. she will never know the difference. if questioned just say "these basses kinda suck, i would NEVER buy another one"

7. Thanks for the input, I think I might have worried for no reason about the neck drop.

Clearly I need to get a little deceptive, although I doubt I'll be able pass a Rickenbacker 4003 off as a Kramer Beretta.