Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crested Radish, Jun 28, 2002.

1. Hi All

I'm considering buying a Rickenbacker 4003 (New), I'm a lefty so I'll be lucky to find one and probably won't get to try one.

Couple of questions for those in the know -

1 - A Guy who I work with had an old 4001 some years ago and tells me it was neck heavy, is this still the case?

2 - I remember reading on these forums that some modifications are required to the electronics as one of the pickups is quiet, is this still the case?

3 - As the place I am considering buying from does not do p/x can anyone suggest a good hiding place for 2 of my existing basses after I lie to my wife about the shop taking them as p/x <g>

Thanks in advance.

2. 1 - Even more neck-heavy, thanks to the heavier redesigned truss rod system and thicker necks.

2. Nope, Rickenbacker removed the treble pickup capacitor not all that long ago.

3. At a buddy's house?

--jeff

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    1) I think they hang nice! My 4001 is very comfortable.

2) Like the feckn eejit said. Most 4003s don't have the cap.

3) And I thought I was the only one having this problem. And for my next trick - convincing her the new Steinberger XM2 is really one of my old Steinberger Spirit XT2s! Shazam!

4. Ha ha ha...that's funny. :)

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm still gonna try - they're both black and say "Steinberger".

6. she will never know the difference. if questioned just say "these basses kinda suck, i would NEVER buy another one"

7. Thanks for the input, I think I might have worried for no reason about the neck drop.

Clearly I need to get a little deceptive, although I doubt I'll be able pass a Rickenbacker 4003 off as a Kramer Beretta.